Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year History student hoping to get into the legal profession after my degree, I got ABB in my A-Levels (History, Law and Business) and feel it may be ruining my chances. I was wondering whether it's worth re-sitting one exam in my Law A-Level... I was half a mark off achieving an A overall in my last exam, I feel it's hindering me a lot having ABB instead of AAB which is a minimum for many vac schemes.

Even if I achieved a first in my degree, which is what I am currently aiming for, would my A-Level's still drag me down when it comes to a career in Law?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit late now. Doing it on a gap year would be one thing, doing it two years down the line is another.

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously going to be more beneficial to resit it now and have AAB to offer instead of ABB.

I would suggest you resit a unit as a private candidate along side your degree (I know it's going to be difficult but I know people that have done it).

Good Luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I thought it's meant to be top 3 from your first sitting?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, they don't accept resit results - not in the City, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think you ought to redo it to get better results, if you can, because although some don't accept resits... others do! It'll make you more confident but don't let it jeopardise your degree!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I thought (although, I could be wrong as I did A-levels under the old system) that once you "cashed" it in and took the award that grade stood?

ReputationRep:
    Ask the law firms.

At a recruitment fair, or even by email (this is what their Grad Rec people are there for!) explain your position and see what they say. Every professional firm has a threshold of Alevels, but they also have a 'mitigating circumstances' part on their applications.

Getting ABB at Alevel (and even then just missing the mark for an A) and then improving yourself to getting, potentially, a first at university is a success story. The firm cares about your alevels for a long-term view of your performance as a student, but consistent improvement makes up for it.

Instead of asking here, canvass the firms you'd think you'd like to apply to, send them a polite and professional email (because they will probably retain the email and might link it to a subsequent application) and see what they have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    I'm a second year History student hoping to get into the legal profession after my degree, I got ABB in my A-Levels (History, Law and Business) and feel it may be ruining my chances. I was wondering whether it's worth re-sitting one exam in my Law A-Level... I was half a mark off achieving an A overall in my last exam, I feel it's hindering me a lot having ABB instead of AAB which is a minimum for many vac schemes.

Even if I achieved a first in my degree, which is what I am currently aiming for, would my A-Level's still drag me down when it comes to a career in Law?

Thanks
    Depends what you want to do. Top solicitor HR dept seem to place a fair bit of emphasis on A Levels. On the other hand, the bar does not seem to care so much about great A-levels because they recognise that it is your degree classification that is more important. Get a first class degree and you will be in a stronger position than the thousands of graduates that get straight As then coast through red brick uni, get a 2:1, expect training contract/pupillage and then only realise that 2:1 is at best mediocre.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.