Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Guys

I would be attending the university in September 2013, following a recommendation from friend I would be joining some societies and clubs, in sports badminton and cricket and in societies debating and investment, I was wondering how many people are normally participate in societies especially sports are sports clubs jam packed with 100s of people or just 10s-15s.

Reason for asking is that i am beginner in badminton (took up last year and absolutely enjoy it) and very rusty in cricket(played 4 years ago as my school stooped doing it year 10), i don't want go and end up making fool of myself in front of 100s of people. i am very nervous .

have any of you been in this situation or participate in sports clubs?

Thanks

Mty

ReputationRep:
    The number of members will depend entirely on the club in question.

However, all sports clubs take total beginners (many find that a majority of their new members are total novices), and they will get you to play against others of a similar ability / experience. Normally clubs have first / second / third teams etc., and sometimes a 'social' team too - those who don't want to play competitively. You'll sometimes find multiple clubs within a university for a given sport - the uni team for those who want to train a lot and play in BUCS Leagues against other unis, and course / halls teams for the less talented / committed.

No one is going to laugh at you, and I'm sure you'll be able to find a team that you like

ReputationRep:
    Dear Origami

Sorry for late reply, I have been little busy. Thank you for you post i genuinely appreciate ,its comforting to know that majority of society members would be novices.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.