Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oreos are veggie-friendly now!! (And vegan I think!) watch

ReputationRep:
    Just incase nobody had noticed, they removed the whey powder so they are vegetarian now and, if I remember correctly, also vegan. It's only taken 5 years! :rolleyes: Ah well they got round to it eventually! Cheers Kraft!

Be careful when buying them though, do check the ingredients because they only changed recently so there is still a lot of the older ones around. When I looked in Spar, half of the packets were new veggie ones and half were old ones. The original and the chocolate cream ones are definitely suitable, and I'd imagine the Double Stuf ones as well, but the ones I found in Morrisons yesterday still had whey powder in so just double check that. Been waiting so long for this day

ReputationRep:
    Thats amazing I'm sooo going veggie Oreo hunting tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinzyLoo)
    Just incase nobody had noticed, they removed the whey powder so they are vegetarian now and, if I remember correctly, also vegan. It's only taken 5 years! :rolleyes: Ah well they got round to it eventually! Cheers Kraft!

Be careful when buying them though, do check the ingredients because they only changed recently so there is still a lot of the older ones around. When I looked in Spar, half of the packets were new veggie ones and half were old ones. The original and the chocolate cream ones are definitely suitable, and I'd imagine the Double Stuf ones as well, but the ones I found in Morrisons yesterday still had whey powder in so just double check that. Been waiting so long for this day

!!!!

Thank you for posting!!! I wasn't sure whether to believe them when they said they were working on it, but turns out it was true!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    !!!!

Thank you for posting!!! I wasn't sure whether to believe them when they said they were working on it, but turns out it was true!

xxx
    I know me too! I emailed them 3 years ago and they were all, "sorry to hear you're disappointed...blah blah blah usual generic company email...we are working on it and hope to have vegetarian Oreos by next year". I just get why it took so long! Oreos in America, Australia and Asia are veggie already, they don't contain whey, so they already HAVE the recipe! I don't get why they ever put whey the European ones in the first place!

Oh well it's all good now. Can't wait to make slutty brownies again! Last time I had to use Oreos I brought back from Australia. If you haven't made the before, you have to!!! This was my result...

Name:  IMAG0873small.png
Views: 400
Size:  411.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0877small.png
Views: 395
Size:  386.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0880small.png
Views: 486
Size:  360.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    I know me too! I emailed them 3 years ago and they were all, "sorry to hear you're disappointed...blah blah blah usual generic company email...we are working on it and hope to have vegetarian Oreos by next year". I just get why it took so long! Oreos in America, Australia and Asia are veggie already, they don't contain whey, so they already HAVE the recipe! I don't get why they ever put whey the European ones in the first place!

Oh well it's all good now. Can't wait to make slutty brownies again! Last time I had to use Oreos I brought back from Australia. If you haven't made the before, you have to!!! This was my result...

Perhaps party rings will be next... we can only hope!!!

And oooh, my fiance would love those brownies!!! Is the recipe online?

xxx

ReputationRep:

Ooh that looks so good! What's the recipe?

What? They were not vegetarian prior? :eek:

I hang my head in shame

ReputationRep:

Can I have the recipe for that please? Looks yum.

ReputationRep:

OH. MY. GOD. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollyB_C)
    What? They were not vegetarian prior? :eek:
    I hang my head in shame
    Likewise

I plan to double my intake from now on, to compensate for past mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Wait... Whoa? Why weren't they vegetarian before??? *Looks at oreo packet he is eating*

ReputationRep:
    if I remember correctly, also vegan.
    Only if you dunk them in soy milk. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Perhaps party rings will be next... we can only hope!!!

And oooh, my fiance would love those brownies!!! Is the recipe online?

xxx

(Original post by Soph.Jade)
    Ooh that looks so good! What's the recipe?

(Original post by Ayesha1234)
    Can I have the recipe for that please? Looks yum.
    Yeah there are recipes online - it's quite famous now so other people have done variations - I saw one called "even sluttier brownies" that had a caramel layer in as well....mmmmmmmmm.

Anyway it's really easy - just buy chocolate chip cookie dough (Sainsburys do it in the fridge section - that's the one we used) or find a good recipe online. Layer it in the bottom of a lasagna dish or high sided baking tray, about 1-2cm thick. Place Oreos all over (as seen in fig. 1 above). Make a brownie mix (I used a Sainsburys one) or alternatively make your own from scratch. Pour brownie mix over Oreos. Put in preheated oven at 180C for about.. 25-35 mins? I can't remember exactly, just keep an eye on them. Mine were a little gooey but I like them better that way

...but judging by the neg, somebody is obviously offended by slutty brownies! Who the hell would neg such a beautiful specimen of indulgence?!

ReputationRep:
    Is whey not just powdered milk? How is that not Veggie suitable?

ReputationRep:
    Oreo's have always been vegetarian. Whey powder is derived from milk. And don't even get me started on veganism...

ReputationRep:
    x
    Yours looks incredible. If you ever find double stuf Oreos make sure you try them out -- they're even better! (I haven't seen them in the supermarkets but I've always ordered them from UK-based websites that sell foodstuffs from America, which also means they're likely to be vegetarian).

ReputationRep:
    Don't you guys find it disturbing that a biscuit with a "creamy" filling is now vegan?
    What else does it have in it if not milk?

ReputationRep:
    Whey powder is made from milk would only be non-vegetarian if an animal based starter culture was added to the milk when the curds and whey were being formed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
    Is whey not just powdered milk? How is that not Veggie suitable?

(Original post by rcummins1)
    Oreo's have always been vegetarian. Whey powder is derived from milk. And don't even get me started on veganism...

(Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    Whey powder is made from milk would only be non-vegetarian if an animal based starter culture was added to the milk when the curds and whey were being formed
    Whey comes from the cheese-making process. Making cheese involves using rennet, which is a mixture of enzymes that separates the curds from whey by coagulating it. Authentic rennet comes from the stomach of dead calves. In the UK most cheeses like cheddar are made using microbial rennet, which is made by genetically engineered bacteria (E. coli I think <3). But the whey that Kraft were using was from cheese made using calf rennet. That's why it's not veggie. Other products affected are Carte D'or ice cream and Ferrero Rocher. Mars were going to switch to non-veggie whey back in 2008 and then changed their mind because of a massive outcry.

ReputationRep:
    Whey comes from the cheese-making process. Making cheese involves using rennet, which is a mixture of enzymes that separates the curds from whey by coagulating it. Authentic rennet comes from the stomach of dead calves. In the UK most cheeses like cheddar are made using microbial rennet, which is made by genetically engineered bacteria (E. coli I think <3). But the whey that Kraft were using was from cheese made using calf rennet. That's why it's not veggie. Other products affected are Carte D'or ice cream and Ferrero Rochet. Mars were going to switch to non-veggie whey back in 2008 and then changed their mind because of a massive outcry.
    haha I know all about the cheese making process from food technology :cool: lol

But wow, didn't know they used animal rennet :eek: I'm glad they've turned vegi now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.