Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a new member here and I have created this thread as I need some advice. I'm currently in the process of finishing my A Levels and have applied to medicine. I managed to get two interviews, one for Aberdeen and the other for East Anglia. My first interview was for Aberdeen, and after staying in the city, meeting students and teachers, and seeing the facilities available, I couldn't have imagined studying anywhere else. I was therefore very pleased that the interview seemed to go very well. When I travelled to East Anglia however, I didn't get the same feeling as the one I had when I had been in Aberdeen. I didn't like the location, the facilities, the atmosphere or, after talking to some students there, how the course is delivered and how little science content it has, focusing more on patient contact. I therefore wasn't too dismayed then when I thought I had totalled the interview.


    However, it turns out that I have been given an offer from East Anglia and a rejection from Aberdeen. Now I have the dilemma, do I go for the university I really didn't like, or do the unthinkable, turn down the offer from east anglia in the hope that I will be given an offer in August from Aberdeen, and reapply next year if that is unsuccessful?


    I have also applied to the Republic of Ireland, and sat the HPAT in February. So there is also a small chance that something could turn up there, however I won't know my HPAT result until June, past the deadline for responding to East Anglia.


    If it came to it, I really wouldn't mind taking a gap year, as long as I knew I had a decent chance of getting an offer next year. I was also wondering, can universities see that you declined an medicine offer the previous year?


    Here are some of my stats


    A Level: Maths, Further Maths, 3 Sciences
    Predicted: 5A*
    GCSE: 2A* 6As B (I know, not great)
    UKCAT: 660


    I don't want to be seen to be picking and choosing, and for this to be a reflection on how much I wish to become a doctor, and I know how lucky I am to get an offer, but I really don't think East Anglia is right for me, and I really believe Aberdeen is. I will have to wait until next week to see what position I am on their waiting list.


    I would really appreciate any insight you could give, especially if your studying at either university or have been faced with a similar problem. Thanks in advance!
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd take it to be honest; you could reapply next year and be unsuccessful for Aberdeen again, and then you'd be a bit stuck aha.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm going to go against what others will say and tell you that if you really didn't like UEA then you should try again for somewhere else, to most people here turning down a medicine offer is downright sinful but in my opinion it's better to take a gap year than to drop out.
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    I'd say: re-evaluate what you actually thought of UEA. Its easy to get caught up in how nice Aberdeen was and how you were just going to go there and nowhere else can compare but... were your views really objective? Was it just one bad day? Write a list of objective reasons (not 'atmosphere', not 'vibe' - these things cannot be assessed on a single day) as to why you like and dislike UEA in a few days time and see how it comes up. It might not be as bad as you first thought.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Go for UEA, first impressions aren't everything.
    Imagine you didn't get in 2nd time around or that Aberdeen don't make you an offer in August?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Is there an Applicant's Day for offer holders? If yes, I'd go and have another look before deciding. You will have more time to look around etc and may get a better feel for the place.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Go back to UEA, have another look and see how you feel. If you think you really wouldn't be happy there then reapply next year, there's no point going somewhere you won't enjoy.

    You have to be aware that you risk getting no offers at all though, so if you go back to UEA and think better of it second time round then i'd advise you to take the offer.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Go back to UEA, have another look and see how you feel. If you think you really wouldn't be happy there then reapply next year, there's no point going somewhere you won't enjoy.

    You have to be aware that you risk getting no offers at all though, so if you go back to UEA and think better of it second time round then i'd advise you to take the offer.

    Yes I really wish I could, but because I live in Northern Ireland, and Norwich is such a small airport, I really can't afford to fly back there. I checked all the flights and the cheapest is over £200 :/
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmcchere)
    Yes I really wish I could, but because I live in Northern Ireland, and Norwich is such a small airport, I really can't afford to fly back there. I checked all the flights and the cheapest is over £200 :/
    Once you know your place on a waiting list in Aberdeen, you can weight your chances.

    £200 is a lot but you have an important decision to make. You might be stuck for 5 years in a place you dislike, or you can turn down the offer and truly regret it later.

    First impressions may be misleading. Especially, since you set your heart on Aberdeen so early in the process, anything after didn't measure up. This may not be an objective assessment.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmcchere)
    Yes I really wish I could, but because I live in Northern Ireland, and Norwich is such a small airport, I really can't afford to fly back there. I checked all the flights and the cheapest is over £200 :/
    Fly into London and get the train, it's not that far, and should be cheaper that way.

    I know it's hard when you had your heart set on somewhere else, but reapplying in the hope of getting into a single uni is not a good option to take - you might be in the same position next year re Aberdeen but without another offer that time. At the end of the day, what you get out of uni is what you put in

    As for waiting on an Irish place, you can firm UEA now and then withdraw later in the summer if you get an Irish place, since the application systems aren't linked.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Just as a quick update, I phoned Aberdeen recently and i turns out im 7th on the waiting list. They usually take around 40 from the waiting list so I think my odds are good. Until I found this out i was going to take East Anglia, but now I'm really unsure. Any advice guys?
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmcchere)
    Just as a quick update, I phoned Aberdeen recently and i turns out im 7th on the waiting list. They usually take around 40 from the waiting list so I think my odds are good. Until I found this out i was going to take East Anglia, but now I'm really unsure. Any advice guys?
    I know people have been able to swap their firm later in the cycle if they got a wait list offer, but I've only heard of this with firming biomed etc, not medicine. Given that I presume your reply deadline is soon, and Aberdeen are unlikely to give offers til after replies are in, you could Firm UEA and then if you get an Aberdeen offer ring uea and ask to be released (make sure you are just being released from the offer and not being withdrawn from this UCAS cycle completely) in order to then firm Aberdeen. This isn't guaranteed to work, but if you were planning to firm uea anyway...
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I know people have been able to swap their firm later in the cycle if they got a wait list offer, but I've only heard of this with firming biomed etc, not medicine. Given that I presume your reply deadline is soon, and Aberdeen are unlikely to give offers til after replies are in, you could Firm UEA and then if you get an Aberdeen offer ring uea and ask to be released (make sure you are just being released from the offer and not being withdrawn from this UCAS cycle completely) in order to then firm Aberdeen. This isn't guaranteed to work, but if you were planning to firm uea anyway...
    Unfortunatly I won't get an Aberdeen offer unless I'm holding no other medical offers, so as soon as I firm UEA I can't go to Aberdeen :/
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmcchere)
    Unfortunatly I won't get an Aberdeen offer unless I'm holding no other medical offers, so as soon as I firm UEA I can't go to Aberdeen :/
    What decision did you make in the end?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hello again

    In the end up I took the leap and rejected East Anglia Thankfully it paid off, and not 2 hours after opening my results I got an email from aberdeen

    However, 3 days later I got an offer for medicine in Trinity, in Dublin. Anyone fancy giving their 2 cents on this one?

    Thanks for all your previous help and advice
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.