Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I applied and got into Lady Margaret School - but I really want to know what those who go there think about it.

Is it a good school? How nice are the teachers and the girls that go there? What extra-curricular do they offer there?

Thanks

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I got into Lady Margaret School last year and accepted my place. I wasn't keen on the idea of moving, but my parents were quite pushy about it so I agreed.

Is it a good school? It's a very good school! It's smaller than average, particularly in Year 7-11, but the sixth form is fairly big. LMS scores very highly on league tables and sends many girls to Oxbridge and Russell Group universities every year. They recently built the Olivier Centre which contains informal/formal study areas for sixth form students, as well as an auditorium and various classrooms. There's a strong Christian ethos and a sense of community amongst the girls.

How nice are the teachers and the girls that go there? This was a question I really wanted to hear the answer to this time last year, so I definitely understand why you've asked! The teachers are very welcoming and friendly, and provide you with additional resources to ensure that you're more than likely to secure the top grades. If you're currently at a bigger school, you'll notice that, as LMS is a small school, there's also fewer teachers than you're perhaps used to. Most AS Levels are split into units and those units will be taught by two different teachers. The girls are largely made up of students from Lady Margaret who have stayed at the school, Sacred Heart High School and other schools from West London. I was the only person from my school to go to LMS, but the girls were really nice so it wasn't difficult to fit in and make new friends.

What extra-curricular activities do they offer? Lady Margaret has a house system. You're put into a house when you join the school (it lacks the excitement of sorting in Harry Potter, unfortunately) and you do house plays in this house, as well as sports day. I think there's also various clubs run by sixth formers during break. Although not an extra-curricular activity, there's an opportunity to earn an additional qualification as LMS offer the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).

What A Levels are you planning on doing? I did Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Politics when I was there, and all of those teachers were really nice.

I ended up leaving Lady Margaret School a few weeks into the first term in September. It's a great school and I made new friends there who I still keep in touch with, but I missed my old friends a lot (they all stayed at my old school) and my commute was 1hr long each way, so 2 hours of travelling every day would leave me really tired by the time I got home.

They'll run induction days after your GCSEs to give you a sense of life as a sixth former at LMS, and they'll give you a better sense of what to expect when you join in September. Best of luck with your GCSE exams and have a good time at Lady Margaret School if you choose to go there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megantrace)
    Hello!

I got into Lady Margaret School last year and accepted my place. I wasn't keen on the idea of moving, but my parents were quite pushy about it so I agreed.

Is it a good school? It's a very good school! It's smaller than average, particularly in Year 7-11, but the sixth form is fairly big. LMS scores very highly on league tables and sends many girls to Oxbridge and Russell Group universities every year. They recently built the Olivier Centre which contains informal/formal study areas for sixth form students, as well as an auditorium and various classrooms. There's a strong Christian ethos and a sense of community amongst the girls.

How nice are the teachers and the girls that go there? This was a question I really wanted to hear the answer to this time last year, so I definitely understand why you've asked! The teachers are very welcoming and friendly, and provide you with additional resources to ensure that you're more than likely to secure the top grades. If you're currently at a bigger school, you'll notice that, as LMS is a small school, there's also fewer teachers than you're perhaps used to. Most AS Levels are split into units and those units will be taught by two different teachers. The girls are largely made up of students from Lady Margaret who have stayed at the school, Sacred Heart High School and other schools from West London. I was the only person from my school to go to LMS, but the girls were really nice so it wasn't difficult to fit in and make new friends.

What extra-curricular activities do they offer? Lady Margaret has a house system. You're put into a house when you join the school (it lacks the excitement of sorting in Harry Potter, unfortunately) and you do house plays in this house, as well as sports day. I think there's also various clubs run by sixth formers during break. Although not an extra-curricular activity, there's an opportunity to earn an additional qualification as LMS offer the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).

What A Levels are you planning on doing? I did Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Politics when I was there, and all of those teachers were really nice.

I ended up leaving Lady Margaret School a few weeks into the first term in September. It's a great school and I made new friends there who I still keep in touch with, but I missed my old friends a lot (they all stayed at my old school) and my commute was 1hr long each way, so 2 hours of travelling every day would leave me really tired by the time I got home.

They'll run induction days after your GCSEs to give you a sense of life as a sixth former at LMS, and they'll give you a better sense of what to expect when you join in September. Best of luck with your GCSE exams and have a good time at Lady Margaret School if you choose to go there!

Thanks for the info! The commute to LMS from my house is also an hour's journey - so I guess that's the only downside to it, but I'm not too fussed about it.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethO)
    Thanks for the info! The commute to LMS from my house is also an hour's journey - so I guess that's the only downside to it, but I'm not too fussed about it.

Thanks again
    It's definitely worth the commute and I know quite a few people there who do the long commutes. I think if you fit into the school and like it then it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I go there I've been here since year 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethO)
    Hello guys,

I applied and got into Lady Margaret School - but I really want to know what those who go there think about it.

Is it a good school? How nice are the teachers and the girls that go there? What extra-curricular do they offer there?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Heya Elizabeth

I'm currently in year 11 and I've been in LMS for 5 years! I'll also be going to the sixth form in September 2013 and I'm having no second thoughts.

No words can describe how much I enjoy being at LMS. Everyone is lovely, caring and the teachers are extremely helpful!

As someone whose probably spent more time in the school than some of the new sixth formers, it is safe to say that the subjects at A level can be challenging but it's worth it - if you looked at our school prospectus (I'm on the front cover :P ) the results attained in last years summer exam was superb!

If you'd like to ask more questions, just PM me, I'd be glad to answer them

ReputationRep:
    During a week at the end of the summer term girls are offered a variety of special pursuits and residential trips. These can include riding, camping, adventure week, sailing, painting and computer week. This time is seen as an important part of the curriculum and gives girls the opportunity to develop qualities of leadership, self-reliance and self-respect.
    the school is really nice and the children there are really kind and welcoming and make you feel safe. the teachers there are kind and they will help you with things even if you are stuck with things.
    so don't worry about anything

from kathleen xx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.