Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Paulo Di Canio be accepted by the FA as SAFC manager? watch

ReputationRep:
    Given the FA's anti-discrimination policies (including the support for the 'kick racism out of football' campaign), should they allow PDC (who gave fascist salutes to the crowd twice with Lazio) to manage a premier league team?

I'm sort of torn between freedom of speech and expression; and my opposition to any public support for Nazism in Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe-baldwin)
    Given the FA's anti-discrimination policies (including the support for the 'kick racism out of football' campaign), should they allow PDC (who gave fascist salutes to the crowd twice with Lazio) to manage a premier league team?

I'm sort of torn between freedom of speech and expression; and my opposition to any public support for Nazism in Europe
    Nazism and Fascism are two very different ideologies.

Paulo is not a Nazi, he's not a racist. He does not discriminate against people on the basis of colour or religion.

People see the straight arm salute and jump to conclusions, People need to understand the context of the salute when Italians do it. The straight arm salute was originally used by Roman soldiers to hail each other. Hitler adopted it into his ideals because he respected the Romans and aspired to be like them. When some Italians use it its a sign of extreme Italian pride and nationalism.

Tbh I don't care about his views as long as he doesn't discriminate against people, politics and football shouldn't mix. We should just let the man get on with his job. Typical British press making a big deal out of nothing

ReputationRep:
    Of course he should, he hasn't done anything illegal or hurt anyone.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, Fascism does not equal racism, there is a difference.

Secondly, of course they should.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he should be allowed to manage them. This is only an issue because the media has turned it into an issue. Was it an issue when he was hired by Swindon in 2011? Did anyone even mention it? Or what about when BBC gave him his own column on their website? The media loves to build people up like Di Canio and now they're trying to ruin his image before he's even got going, it's a total joke.

This knee-jerk butthurt reaction from everyone is, frankly, embarrassing although I'd expect nothing less given how the media has portrayed certain stories in recent seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Of course he should be allowed to manage them. This is only an issue because the media has turned it into an issue. Was it an issue when he was hired by Swindon in 2011? Did anyone even mention it? Or what about when BBC gave him his own column on their website? The media loves to build people up like Di Canio and now they're trying to ruin his image before he's even got going, it's a total joke.

This knee-jerk butthurt reaction from everyone is, frankly, embarrassing although I'd expect nothing less given how the media has portrayed certain stories in recent seasons.
    This. The media loved him at Swindon. They'd print articles about a manager they loved for his eccentric manner with no mention whatsoever of his political views. Even OP's question is "... Should they allow PDC to manage a Premier League team?". I don't get it. Why the hysteria just because it's a Premier League team?

I suggest that people shut up and enjoy the crazy entertainment that Di Canio will bring.

ReputationRep:
    At the 2010 World Cup I questioned why they allowed North Korea to participate, citing South Africa's suspension from FIFA over apartheid. Similarly, the Iraq team in the period when whenever they lost Uday Hussein would electrocute them and cut off their fingers. It seems football doesn't care about human rights abuses as long as it's two people the same colour doing it to each other, and only if they're different colours do they care...

ReputationRep:
    As an italian that knows a lot of italians that claim to be 'facist', from what I can tell di canio isn't a racist, he holds facists beliefs but these aren't mutally exclusive with racism. For example one italian guy I know claims to be a facist, his wife on the other hand is a non practising jew. It's more to do with the political side of facism i.e. populist, anti capitalist and anti marxist but most of all very patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe-baldwin)

How does being a fascist automatically imply you are or support racism?

So why should the FA not accept him being a football manager?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    At the 2010 World Cup I questioned why they allowed North Korea to participate, citing South Africa's suspension from FIFA over apartheid. Similarly, the Iraq team in the period when whenever they lost Uday Hussein would electrocute them and cut off their fingers. It seems football doesn't care about human rights abuses as long as it's two people the same colour doing it to each other, and only if they're different colours do they care...
    So, you expect FIFA to take an active role in getting at Kim Jong Un by punishing his country's football team, who have absolutely nothing to do with the running of the country? Makes perfect sense.

Football and politics shouldn't mix, and that's in both directions - not only should politicians not mess about with football, football shouldn't be used to challenge political issues. The fact of the matter is, people only care about football because it's so high-profile. If we're going to punish the North Korean football team for simply being from that country, then we may as well kick them out of the Chess World Championships and stuff like that as well. Sound stupid? You're right, it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theflyingbarney)
    So, you expect FIFA to take an active role in getting at Kim Jong Un by punishing his country's football team, who have absolutely nothing to do with the running of the country? Makes perfect sense.

Football and politics shouldn't mix, and that's in both directions - not only should politicians not mess about with football, football shouldn't be used to challenge political issues. The fact of the matter is, people only care about football because it's so high-profile. If we're going to punish the North Korean football team for simply being from that country, then we may as well kick them out of the Chess World Championships and stuff like that as well. Sound stupid? You're right, it is.
    Yes, I understand why it's stupid to allow politics into football. But then why were South Africa banned? Just because opposing racism is cool, good PR, and opposing oppression is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Nazism and Fascism are two very different ideologies.

Paulo is not a Nazi, he's not a racist. He does not discriminate against people on the basis of colour or religion.

People see the straight arm salute and jump to conclusions, People need to understand the context of the salute when Italians do it. The straight arm salute was originally used by Roman soldiers to hail each other. Hitler adopted it into his ideals because he respected the Romans and aspired to be like them. When some Italians use it its a sign of extreme Italian pride and nationalism.

Tbh I don't care about his views as long as he doesn't discriminate against people, politics and football shouldn't mix. We should just let the man get on with his job. Typical British press making a big deal out of nothing
    I've been hearing a lot of this spouted out and it's a stupid defense to masquarade PDC as a proud Italian rather than what he is a proud Italian fascist. If it was more of a form of pride and nationalism and something condoned in Italian culture as you have alluded to, why was he punished by the Italian FA for it? Also, if the to do with pride and nationalism, why the 'I'm a fascist..' comment? The tattoo? The idolatry of Mussolini.

Lets not argue that the man is a proud fascist.

(Original post by Stu Laverty)

The media in especially the BBC have been hyproritical in their stance but, some people did react did find it an issue when he managed Swidon but their voice wasn't big enough to gather publicity.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand why it's stupid to allow politics into football. But then why were South Africa banned? Just because opposing racism is cool, good PR, and opposing oppression is not.
    I think the reason South Africa got banned was that the politics had encroached upon the football before FIFA or whoever got involved - iirc they were deliberately picking an all-white team. Same story with Yugoslavia being kicked out of Euro 92 - the country had effectively ceased to exist before the tournament started, so trying to keep the team together without politics coming into it was always going to be futile. But with North Korea, yes they're a horrible totalitarian regime, but so far their football team still functions as a football team should, so there's no reason for FIFA to have to make a political statement by banning them. Similarly with Di Canio - it only becomes the Premier League's problem if his supposedly fascist views start (or look likely to start) impacting on the way Sunderland operate or anything like that. Making political statements for the sake of it isn't needed in football.

ReputationRep:
    How can you compare Di Canio to South Africa?

Who is Di Canio oppressing?

People that don't like his views?

ReputationRep:

He hasn't but it's worrying when Piara Power from FARE, says Di Canio, in his autobiography said Muslims do not belong in Italy.

I'd be intrigued to see how he'd get on with Muslims in his side, especially when the latter (some of them like Sulley Muntari who plays for Milan) fast during Ramadhan which affects performance and training etc so that's a potential issue that needs monitoring.

EDIT: He's finally clarified his position, clearly. Some may call it super-ficial considering he has a tattoo of Mussolini somewhere on his body but should be the end of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    He hasn't but it's worrying when Piara Power from FARE, says Di Canio, in his autobiography said Muslims do not belong in Italy.

I'd be intrigued to see how he'd get on with Muslims in his side, especially when the latter (some of them like Sulley Muntari who plays for Milan) fast during Ramadhan which affects performance and training etc so that's a potential issue that needs monitoring.
    I wonder how many Brits say Muslims don't belong in England. Have you never heard of the BNP or EDL they want Muslims in England right ? British newspapers protesting the Muslim gangs raping young white girls all the time. Most threads on this site about Muslims are about how evil Islam is or how much its a horrible religion and not compatible with western ideals and how they should conform or go back to their native lands.

Di Canio just stated the underlying feeling of what a large minority people across Europe are thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many Brits say Muslims don't belong in England. Have you never heard of the BNP or EDL they want Muslims in England right ? British newspapers protesting the Muslim gangs raping young white girls all the time. Most threads on this site about Muslims are about how evil Islam is or how much its a horrible religion and not compatible with western ideals and how they should conform or go back to their native lands.

Di Canio just stated the underlying feeling of what a large minority people across Europe are thinking.
    Not wanting to turn this into a thread it shouldn't be but, please do confirm, by the bolded bits, you're saying white people don't abuse, just Muslims? So why is the national rate of convicted paedophiles who are white at 93% (which makes up 87% of the UK population) and ones who are Black and Asian 7% (make up 13 percent of population).

It's a shame the left aren't waking up and filling the vacuum, hence the rise of UKIP. But that's another thread's discussion.

ReputationRep:
    No!

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly the mass media, who never ever ever insult people's intelligence and give false information, are massively incorrect in all they're saying about Paolo.
    There isn't a single thing wrong with fascism as a political ideology, especially in Italy where it is particularly strong, (this was mentioned for five seconds on the BBC) as he has said himself he is a fascist not a racist.
    There isn't a single thing wrong with the notion of fascism,it's the confused associations that we have that are wrong which have it alongside nazism and racism.
    Fascism is a legitimate political ideology, not one I would align myself with, far from it, but it is still a legitimate political ideology.
    The Durham mining association have naffed me off too, saying people died to fight fascism so it's wrong and insults them. That statement is all kinds of wrong, they died fighting nazism, hitler may have been a fascist, but he was also a man and they didn't go to war to fight against men. Paolo di canio is a man, as was hitter, shall they stop their links with the club for that reason, no cause that would be ridiculous, as is falling out over his political beliefs.
    Besides who gives a toss, he is managing a football team. As if his political views will play any factor in him managing a football team. I don't even support Sunderland, I'm actually a Geordie (quite the opposite) but I cannot stand mass media hate-mongering bullcrap.

Apologies to anybody that read all of that, I may have got a bit carried away or a bit too irritated about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Course they should accept it, he will lead them to relegation, and who wouldn't love to see that? lets be honest, we all hate scumderland.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 5, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.