Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm completing my MSc at the moment but I am seriously worried I am going to fail. I completed my undergrad in law but am doing a policy course now... and it is super different. I really don't like the course at all and I just can't WAIT for the year to be over.

My supervisor has said that I should have a thesis idea by now but keeps shooting every idea I have down so I am still waiting to hear on that. The essays I've done have been a pass and my first term my supervisor wasn't worried about my work - he said I would be fine. But this term I have a really mean supervisor who's just basically said that I am lacking the analysis etc. etc.

But I was just wondering if I am panicking unnecessarily? What's your experience of masters... I'm not looking to get a distinction or anything just that pass! Any thoughts would be great =)

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible that your "really mean" supervisor might have a point? Obviously if you're getting pass marks then your first supervisor was satisfied with that on your behalf, but consistent marks at that level would indicate that you're not quite hitting the right way of thinking. Some aspects that you're likely to be marked down for at Masters level, are a lack of analytical thinking or critical appraisal of your sources. Could be that your first supervisor was a bit slack and your second supervisor is actually trying to be helpful. Possibly the marking feedback hasn't been as detailed as you need about how to improve? It sounds like your first supervisor hasn't done you any favours and the second supervisor has recognised this but isn't sorting the situation out.

I'm assuming that most of your coursework is finished by now, so that's just water under the bridge. You really need to sort out a thesis topic and this will now be the difference between passing, failing or (if your uni awards them) coming out with a lower PGDip. You need an honest heart-to-heart with your supervisor and see if you can get them to be more constructive. Admit that you don't understand what they're looking for and ask for guidance on choosing a topic. Are there other members of staff you could ask for ideas if you don't feel comfortable doing that?

If it helps, my Masters dissertation planning collapsed last year and I had to scrabble round for a new topic at Easter. I managed to complete it successfully. There is hope in your situation, but you need to be very proactive as fast as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, to be fair we only have pass and distinction levels where I am... The issue that I have with my supervisor is that she hasn't actually seen any of my essays, just my proposals. I've spoken to her and redone my proposal almost four times and she keeps saying, "It should be done by now" but fails to actually tell me what she is looking for. The first one wasn't comparative enough, the second one couldn't be done due to data issues and the third one was too broad. I've now sent off two more and just waiting to see what she says...

It's so frustrating but I think you're right that I need to work on the comments, but it's so hard to actually know what I am meant to be working on. Thanks for the advice about having an open and honest discussion with her - I think I will wait for my feedback and see if the idea is good to go, if not I will really need to talk to her, again, and ask her to be more constructive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.