The Student Room Group

Disclipinary hearing - work for a large supermarket

Hi I work for a large supermarket and I was caught with my phone and other stuff whilst on my shift, though I wasn't using any of them.

I do not have a locker and I have asked numerous amount of times for one.

I now have a disciplinary hearing regarding this. Can I lose my job over this? been working there for 8 months have about a month off work with sickness within that period.

I haven't joined a union, should I and bring a Representative with me?
anyone please?
Reply 2
Original post by CallMeMaybeBaby
Hi I work for a large supermarket and I was caught with my phone and other stuff whilst on my shift, though I wasn't using any of them.

I now have a disciplinary hearing regarding this. Can I lose my job over this? been working there for 8 months have about a month off work with sickness within that period.

If you have signed to say you won't have your phone with you and you have it with you, you will be in trouble! However you may get let off with a warning if they remember (or you can prove) you repeatedly asking for a locker.

Regarding a union, they will only help you with matters that arise after your membership commences - so, they would not provide a rep for this situation.
Reply 3
You may not be able to take a Union rep to the hearing with you but I think you're entitled to take a colleague/friend with you regardless...

EDIT: I can sympathise greatly with your situation as when I worked at a supermarket I had to wait for a locker for ages too and during that time I had no choice but to keep my keys on me because I had to bike to work! I couldn't not break the rules.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
One of my friends got caught shoplifting from his store and even he only got a caution. Something like that I don't think you should be too worried about, but you should definitely subscribe to a union going forward. Argue your case fairly and I would be very surprised if you got anything worse than a warning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CallMeMaybeBaby

I may be wrong, but i think you are able to take a colleage of your choice in with you. Id explain though during the disaplinary hearing that you werent using your phone or anything, ans that you have asked for a locker several times, but still havent got one.
I bet you will just get a warning or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending