Hello, I'm a new member here and I have created this thread as I need some advice. I'm currently in the process of finishing my A Levels and have applied to medicine. I managed to get two interviews, one for Aberdeen and the other for East Anglia. My first interview was for Aberdeen, and after staying in the city, meeting students and teachers, and seeing the facilities available, I couldn't have imagined studying anywhere else. I was therefore very pleased that the interview seemed to go very well. When I travelled to East Anglia however, I didn't get the same feeling as the one I had when I had been in Aberdeen. I didn't like the location, the facilities, the atmosphere or, after talking to some students there, how the course is delivered and how little science content it has, focusing more on patient contact. I therefore wasn't too dismayed then when I thought I had totalled the interview.
However, it turns out that I have been given an offer from East Anglia and a rejection from Aberdeen. Now I have the dilemma, do I go for the university I really didn't like, or do the unthinkable, turn down the offer from east anglia in the hope that I will be given an offer in August from Aberdeen, and reapply next year if that is unsuccessful?
I have also applied to the Republic of Ireland, and sat the HPAT in February. So there is also a small chance that something could turn up there, however I won't know my HPAT result until June, past the deadline for responding to East Anglia.
If it came to it, I really wouldn't mind taking a gap year, as long as I knew I had a decent chance of getting an offer next year. I was also wondering, can universities see that you declined an medicine offer the previous year?
Here are some of my stats
A Level: Maths, Further Maths, 3 Sciences
GCSE: 2A* 6As B (I know, not great)
I don't want to be seen to be picking and choosing, and for this to be a reflection on how much I wish to become a doctor, and I know how lucky I am to get an offer, but I really don't think East Anglia is right for me, and I really believe Aberdeen is. I will have to wait until next week to see what position I am on their waiting list.
I would really appreciate any insight you could give, especially if your studying at either university or have been faced with a similar problem. Thanks in advance!
x Turn on thread page Beta
Advice needed on a difficult decision. watch
- Thread Starter
- 03-04-2013 00:58