The Student Room Group

Salary of a Neurosurgeon in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Defensive Gnome
Are the professors/guidance staff at Oxford, and other universities for that matter, willing to guide you as to which measures to take to maximise your chance of getting a place? Are you aware of any medics in your year who intend on pursuing a career in Neurosurgery? Is it common?

As above - neurosurgery is a very niche speciality. Brain tumors etc are rare.

They can provide guidance yes. Its not the norm to select speciality early though. Routine meetings about general progress don't start until 4th year, with pressure to choose only really starting to be felt by 5th/6th year. It would be pretty damn difficult to try for neurosurgery at this point! But i mean, you could just tell them you are interested in neuroscience when you do it in 2nd year and maybe get some lab experience in the long summer breaks, as well as targeting your 3rd year project as has been said already. I think Oxbridge is relatively good for that kind of thing.
If you want to be a surgeon and make money then plastics and ortho are the places to be, but please don't make career choices based on financial reward or you will realise that you wasted a lot of time pursuing something that you really don't enjoy.
Newly qualified consultant neurosurgeon in UK makes 74k, exactly the same as every other consultant in the NHS
Majority of surgeons at consultant level add to their income with private work, which can often double (or more) their salary.

I am a doctor
Information about payscales (last year, but almost identical this year)
http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/features/hospital-doctors-pay-scales-for-20092010

Quick Reply

Latest