Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my whole life/for as long as I can remember, my mum has always thought of herself before others. If she doesn't feel well, she makes a big deal out of it and acts like it's the end of the world. If I'm not feeling well, she tells me to shut up and deal with it.

For the past few days I've been getting sharp pains in my side and back when I breathe. Tonight, it got so bad that I was struggling to breathe and couldn't walk or sit without being in agony. She got home, saw me in tears and after I explained everything to her she decided to take me to the emergency room. She told me not to post anything on Facebook about it because "She didn't want to be bombarded with calls asking what's wrong, because she can't be bothered talking to people." We were told it was a 4 hour wait, after 1 hour a doctor saw me and gave me ibuprofen and checked my blood pressure.

After I was checked out, I was given the option of waiting another hour to get X-Rays done or I could go home. My mum, saying she was "incredibly bored", said she wasn't waiting any longer and dragged me out of the place, telling the doctor she'd make an appointment with my GP. I'm in so much pain and I was crying and she said she didn't care about waiting times, she couldn't be bothered waiting and wouldn't let me stay and took me home. She said she'll make an appointment with my GP tomorrow but my health centre is so busy I won't be able to see a doctor for 3 weeks. So I basically have to live with this pain for 3 weeks. I'm so angry at her for not letting me see a doctor just because she was really bored. If this was her, she'd be kicking up a fuss and acting like a drama queen. It's my birthday on the 4th and I really don't want to spend my 19th birthday curled up in pain.

So yeah, how can I cope with my mum's annoying antics, and this horrible pain? :/

ReputationRep:
    At 18 you don't need to rely on your mum to talk to doctors and make health decisions for you. I understand that you are in pain and it might not have been easy to remain articulate, but clearly your mum isn't reliable and in future if you want to stay in the hospital say so. You are legally able to make your own choices regarding your medical care, and she can't force you to go home against your will. I say this because you cannot change your mother's behaviour - she is what she is - but you can take responsibility for yourself.

Call the NHS helpline and tell them everything that has happened, and even about your mum being difficult. Trust me, they have heard worse. They can help you figure out what to do next, and may even be able to get medical treatment to you if they think you may need it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry your mum is being such a pain. Can you get a friend to take you back to the ER who will be prepared to wait with you or pick you up after you're done?

ReputationRep:
    Why does your mum have to take you to the emergency room? Go by yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile e
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Moved to Friends, family and work

ReputationRep:
    Why did you not just stay at the hospital, you don't need to rely on your mother....
    it sounds like your mother is uncaring, I would of at least shown a bit more sympathy to be honest.
    Chin up, I hope the pain goes away

ReputationRep:
    Go back by yourself, it seems to be the best option

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.