Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all.

I am currently enrolled on an MMath degree. I have a dilemma about which degree path to choose, which boils down to the following options, both will take four years:

1) Graduate with an MMath (masters degree) and spend the third of my four years studying abroad in a university in America or Australia

2) Graduate with a BSc but for my third year take a placement year and work for a firm.

I expect to graduate with a First and intend to work during the summer: at worst case I will end up returning to a local accountancy firm at which I worked at last summer; the best case is that I actually get onto a big internship with an investment bank or one of the Big Four accountancy firms. My goal is to secure a full-time job in the finance industry... actuary, accountant, investment banker.. not sure what yet! I just don't know what employers look more favourably on?!

Ideally I would love to study abroad for the life experience, and the fact that my tuition fees would be free for that year, but at the end of the day the degree is all about securing a good job!

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

More important than it ever has been!

This is the answer I was dreading

My heart says study abroad, head says do the placement.

I think it's very important as competition is very high and unemployment at its peak, it has given employer immense power if choosing the finest candidate. My university highly recommend to do a placement as statistics show the students who have done placement, was hired straight after graduation. I personally never consider to take it because of some family issues but I would recommend it to someone who can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Placements are a great way to build your cv, and ultimately most employers are going to favour a proven candidate with strong experience over a masters which in reality probably doesnt add very much from the employers perspective.

However, summer internships can bridge that experience gap as well. If you can secure multiple internships of a decent length, then I think you can justify going abroad for*the year if thats what you want to do.

Bear in mind if your motivation is to go abroad, you can achieve that and a placement at the same time. Plenty do placement years overseas!

What other work experience do you have if you just study? The Big 4 start you all off at the same level anyway - but what a placement will show them is that you know what you are getting yourself into. On the other hand, a placement abroad will tick off lots of competencies too - ability to adapt to change/flexibility being the main one.

Thanks for the responses!

- 2 years working in McDonald's as a crew member

- Working as a Junior accountant at my local accountancy firm for 4 weeks and 8 weeks in Summers 2011 and 2012 respectively. Could almost certainly go back there this Summer if I am unsuccessful in my application to Barclays Summer Internship, and other ones which I plan to apply for this week. Possibly might go into my local bank branches and see if I can get anything.

- Will attend a PWC insight day in September at the London offices.

- For the summer after my second year I am going to apply for every possible internship offered by The Big Four and Investment banks, and will continue to do so whilst at uni.

A placement abroad is actually a very good shout, will have to look into that one as it fills both gaps!

Just wondering, from an employers point of view, does an MMath on paper not look that much more impressive than a BSc?
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.