Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People often get in a rut and stick with the same kind of routine. An awful lot of the people I know have stuck by 3x(8-12) routines for years, and have wandered why I gain so quick.

My 'secret' is never do the same routine a second day in a row.

-I do full body excersizies every other day (pay per use gym; will get a membership at a 24h when exams are over), which are composed of the mainstay compound excersizes, ie, squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, and a couple of isolated excersizes followed by various abdominal excersizes. I have three routines;

4 sets of 5 reps,
    3 sets of 8-12 reps,
    and then one set of 12, followed by 10, 8, 6.

I am wandering if this is a legitimate way of excersizing. I do not want to burn out, nor do I want to injure myself, and I only ever read that people occasionally do a different excersize every couple of weeks (if they are 'well behaved')

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I change every 3-4 months, currently in doing everything twice a week, and seeing nice gains.
    E.g. Went up from 2 reps of 100kg kg bench press to 10 reps in exactly 2 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It boils more down to whether you attention deficit disorder or not...

But more seriously, most people seem to do better getting more practice at a smaller number of a specific skill rather than less practice at more.

In this context, it just means that you are better off sticking with a small number of core exercises and staying within a similar rep range.

That said, just as important is how much effort you put into training and how much you enjoy it and if by constantly changing everything means you are less likely to get bored and not work as hard then maybe it works better for you. I don't think most people need to piss about as much though.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you progressively overload it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    it depends, every week would be ok too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.