Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

The building I live in comes with free wifi broadband, but it's shared by everybody on the floor and is quite ****. I could take it for a while but now it's really getting on my nerves. Between 5 and 10 pm, it just doesn't connect. So, I started looking at internet providers and found that Sky offers a nice unlimited service, but Virgin has a nice deal on their 40GB service. I hear that Virgin is really fast and I would like to go with them, but I don't know how much 40GB is.

I am on the internet a lot to stream TV, download stuff, watch sports, and to work for Uni. My computer is my TV in a way. Do you think I could get away with the 40GB limit?

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    If you use it as a TV it is possible, watching an hour is about 100-200mb via streaming usually.

ReputationRep:
    A different thing to consider is that going with another provider will potentially require them to install wiring to your flat. Depending on where you are you might need to check if that's allowed. Most internet connections come with a minimum 12 month contract as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    If you use it as a TV it is possible, watching an hour is about 100-200mb via streaming usually.
    It's probably 5 times that. A full programme is an hour which is about 500mb to download from iPlayer, HD shows are even more than that.

I personally would go over 40GB after about a week but that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

Might go with Sky Unlimited or Virgin Unlimited. Going shopping tomorrow to the Virgin and O2 store to check out their offers. Hopefully we can do something soon and get it installed ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryanUsrey)
    Hello,

The building I live in comes with free wifi broadband, but it's shared by everybody on the floor and is quite ****. I could take it for a while but now it's really getting on my nerves. Between 5 and 10 pm, it just doesn't connect. So, I started looking at internet providers and found that Sky offers a nice unlimited service, but Virgin has a nice deal on their 40GB service. I hear that Virgin is really fast and I would like to go with them, but I don't know how much 40GB is.

I am on the internet a lot to stream TV, download stuff, watch sports, and to work for Uni. My computer is my TV in a way. Do you think I could get away with the 40GB limit?

Thank you,
    Are you sure you can do this?
    Is it a shared house? is the current system through the phone line which is shared?
    Because otherwise you can't, as the broadband will be through the phone line and there will be issues with the landlord about this........your other option is fibre optics which itself will cause issues as the landlord needs to give permission for any sort of drilling. Also don't forget that its a contract for a certain amount of time.

The only other thing I can suggest is that the router is being overwhelmed, so maybe try a plug adaptor and have a direct connection with the router which will give more of a priority access to the internet.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.