Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have literally just finished watching this movie and I really have no idea what to think.
    Once again, Kiera Knightly has made a flawless performance, with a flawless collar bone to go along with it.
    The staging was absolutely immense, I mean... besides Phantom, I have never seen a movie entoured completely by a stage. Absolute genius, bonkers admittedly, but genius all the same.

However, taking the time to read some reviews, I have come to a cross roads in my opinions. Does the stagecraft (staging, freeze frames, ballet and costume) take away entirely from the story?
    As I've already said, the staging was fantastic, as was the rest of the design, however as someone seeing this movie without having read the book, I feel like I may not know the story, the plotline, the characters and the context, just as well as I should.
    The over all question; does the staging take away from the story?

Yeah I feel the same as you. I remember coming out the cinema thinking 'what the hell did I just watch?'

It was a very beautiful, well put together film, but where I think it failed was in the fact I (personally) wasn't emotionally attached to any of the characters. I just felt detached from the entire film.

In terms of characterization it doesn't do the book justice at all and I don't really think it's very good at explaining the characters' motivations. Obviously they had to miss lots out because the book is so long, but I still think they could have made a better job of the story.

Having said that though there were some good moments. The acting was good and it was a pretty film to look at. The concepts with the staging, freeze frames were very clever, but I think maybe that's what made me feel so separate from the movie.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.