Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm just so bored with life. I'm just bored of being me. I'm 18 and in my second year of college and I feel like everyone around me is having fun whilst I'm literally living the life of a retired old lady once I'm home from college. I feel like it's a rite of passage to go through a stage of being rebellious, partying or even just going through a stage of being a goth or something. You know when you look back on your teen years you're supposed to see how ignorant and awful you were and that's part of the fun! When I look back now and in the future when I look back it's going to just be tedious.
    It sounds pathetic but I spend ages googling loads of new age crap about changing your life, the meaning of life, how to be confident, etc and i feel like I know too much? Like I'm being over analytical instead of actually living I'm just googling on my computer in my bedroom how to live. I'm supposed to be passive to this kind of thing and just be out there. The google searches I made should be reserved for a midlife crisis not an 18 year old.

I look at how my past has contributed to my situation and it just feels hopeless. I haven't matured properly along with others my age. They're all relaxed when it comes to alcohol and sex but all that makes me nervous. Even the thought of having a boyfriend is so foreign that i physically can't imagine it. This results in me having literally nothing to contribute to classmates' conversations of these topics so I have no friends. Even looking at my facebook profile makes me depressed. There should be years of wall posts and pictures with friends on there but there is nothing.

I just feel like a boring person. My whole life until this point has been so bland. I had a stereotypical childhood and then my teen years were uneventful completely. No friends, no social life, nothing. Just me and my computer and long summers spent in my dark room with the blind down whilst i longed to be at a park relaxing with friends or something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to change this?

ReputationRep:
    You need to get out and meet new people, friends. People who you can reach out to. They won't come to you, the ball is in your court and only you can make that change.

Put in to life what you want to take out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Try and interact with people more, join a club so you can make friends. You've still got plenty of time to enjoy life by doing stereotypical teenager things. If you're considering going to uni then maybe that's the time to become a new you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get out there and make some friends! After college do you plan to study at university? If so that is a great place to make alot of new friends and also end the boredom, as there is alot of stuff to get up to!

ReputationRep:
    I read this quote and it stuck with me

Confine yourself to observing and you always miss the point of your life. The object can be stated this way: Live the best life you can. Life is a game whose rules you learn if you leap into it and play it to the hilt. Otherwise, you are caught off balance, continually surprised by the shifting play. Non-players often whine and complain that luck always passes them by. They refuse to see that they can create some of their own luck.

I'm in my twenties now and did the same stuff you've been doing, on the computer, in my room not going out and it has had an effect on me. What I'm doing is saying to myself the last 20 years of my life was not in my control, I did what I thought was good. Secondly I never turn down invites from people for anything, I'm actually surprised how many opportunities pop up.

It is hard and anxiety will often get the better of you. In the end reading and googling is just mental masturbation. Set yourself a measurable goal, something easy and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Chuck Bass's advice, say yes to everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZRO)
    Get out there and make some friends! After college do you plan to study at university? If so that is a great place to make alot of new friends and also end the boredom, as there is alot of stuff to get up to!
    Not only this but if you go to uni away from other people you know, no one there knows who you were. You can totally reinvent yourself if you wanted to!

ReputationRep:
    This is all self-inflicted.

If you really want your life to get more exciting, get out there and do something. Join a beginners sports club, learn an instrument... Just do something where you'll meet people.

As it is, you probably won't do anything. You sound like the type of person who'll moan about something, and when told what to do to change it, you can't be bothered, and life continues as it was. See people like this all too often, especially in this forums section.

Prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you DO make a lot of friends/suddenly have a blossoming social life, it may not help the boredom with yourself. If you're genuinely bored of who you are (not just lonely), then it might be helpful to take up a non-social hobby or interest. Have you considered learning another language, picking up an instrument, becoming really fit etc etc?

These things may also open doors further down the line, and will give you something to talk to people about!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calpurnia)
    Even if you DO make a lot of friends/suddenly have a blossoming social life, it may not help the boredom with yourself. If you're genuinely bored of who you are (not just lonely), then it might be helpful to take up a non-social hobby or interest. Have you considered learning another language, picking up an instrument, becoming really fit etc etc?

These things may also open doors further down the line, and will give you something to talk to people about!

Good luck
    I agree. Friends facilitate but do not create interest. If you're bored then it is up to you to set a goal to bring you out of this boredom. This might be related to an interest, work role, travel, or whatever. Friends can help you achieve that goal, but only you can be the one who achieves it. And you can still achieve goals without friends.

ReputationRep:
    The home you seek resides not in some distant land , club, or party...these things are transient and useless

The home you seek is inside you, and in your actions, and ultimate goals in life.

If this is your destiny, then so be it, but let history remember you chose to live your life and not how a stereotypical person was 'meant' to live

You lived life on your terms. Forget the partying and clubs, do worthwhile things.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 18 I was the same, I am now 23 and I am still the same. People who say "Just go out there, join a club, make it happen" don't really know what they are talking about. Unless you are a naturally extroverted popular person, if you join a club for a certain activity, you will interact with people when you are doing that activity. It is unlikely they will just take a liking to you and want to meet you outside of that environment and get to know all about you. Really the main way to get to know people is through work, but if you are unemployed that is a problem. I wish I was 18 again, you have got 5 years until you get to my age, don't be shy, just figure out what you want to do. Generally it is hard if you don't have friends from childhood, people who do are quite lucky really. It's really hard living at home as well! It just gets you down so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuffinHead)
    When I was 18 I was the same, I am now 23 and I am still the same. People who say "Just go out there, join a club, make it happen" don't really know what they are talking about. Unless you are a naturally extroverted popular person, if you join a club for a certain activity, you will interact with people when you are doing that activity. It is unlikely they will just take a liking to you and want to meet you outside of that environment and get to know all about you. Really the main way to get to know people is through work, but if you are unemployed that is a problem. I wish I was 18 again, you have got 5 years until you get to my age, don't be shy, just figure out what you want to do. Generally it is hard if you don't have friends from childhood, people who do are quite lucky really. It's really hard living at home as well! It just gets you down so much.
    I guess I am quite lucky then, all of my mates are ones I made just a couple of years ago, through a 5 a side football team I created with a guy I knew. My tip would be to take any chance that comes, and to ultimately be positive non-stop, even if I do little revision in a day I dont get angry at my self, I just know I will get more done on a day where the weather is worse and I cant go out. Embrace life

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you have good, redeeming or interesting things about yourself! 🙂

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.