Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If there are any alum or current students of Oxford in under grad program Comp Science could you please advice on the pros and cons of this program at Oxford. I need to take a decision between cs at Oxford or in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford university will be the good choice.. Oxford university is the second oldest surviving university in the world.. It ranked third in the UK and 5th in the world. And maintains its 1st position in the Times Good University for the past eleven years... So i will suggest you to go ahead with Oxford university

ReputationRep:
    Any more specific questions? I'm a current student.

ReputationRep:
    So here are some more thoughts we are considering. Just for perspective we are from India so both places Uk and USA are equally expensive. Other points we are considering are
    1. 4 yr master at Oxford vs dual degree bachelors in 4 yrs at JF program. 2. Reportedly. The grounding in fundamentals of comp science is very strong at Oxford vs a breadth of finance, stats etc JF along with the comp science. 3. An option of doing the Oxford progr and then moving for masters to the USA. Has the benefit of getting both continents experience. Of course this could happen the reverse way too except you don't get to work at UK after studies so easily so it's easier to do undergrad at uk and grad at USA.
    A key debate we have been having is as follows. Is it better at undergrad level to build solid foundations in an area of interest (in this case comp science) rather than spread oneself thin by exploring various courses ( the basic diff between us and uk/ Indian systems). The corollary to this is given the interest in getting deep into comp science is the JF prog better or Oxford....( on factors like : curriculum, relevance, faculty, and practice opportunities during study ).
    Appreciate any comments or thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aprpvr)
    Other points we are considering are
    1. 4 yr master at Oxford vs dual degree bachelors in 4 yrs at JF program. 2. Reportedly. The grounding in fundamentals of comp science is very strong at Oxford vs a breadth of finance, stats etc JF along with the comp science.

Grounding is very strong. I'd imagine you'd be able to do a masters in computing or finance with a degree from oxford comp sci. I enjoy the course very much. It's very theoretical and the problem sets are fun.

3. An option of doing the Oxford progr and then moving for masters to the USA. Has the benefit of getting both continents experience. Of course this could happen the reverse way too except you don't get to work at UK after studies so easily so it's easier to do undergrad at uk and grad at USA.

I'd imagine it'd be easier to get into a Top postgrad programme from Oxford. Not sure how much clout JF has in the UK or USA. But I may be wrong.

A key debate we have been having is as follows. Is it better at undergrad level to build solid foundations in an area of interest (in this case comp science) rather than spread oneself thin by exploring various courses ( the basic diff between us and uk/ Indian systems).

This is essentially the difference between the Uk style of undergrad and the American. Computer science at Oxford will give you a more solid grounding in logic and the fundamentals than most American unis .

The corollary to this is given the interest in getting deep into comp science is the JF prog better or Oxford....( on factors like : curriculum, relevance, faculty, and practice opportunities during study ).
    Appreciate any comments or thoughts
    I'd have thought that if you wanted an all-round experience you could do this by working around your subject at Oxford or by taking up lots of activities and societies -like joining the finance socs. There is no shortage of extra-curricular socs here. Lecturers are good and problem sets tough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.