Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

5 people are trapped in a car... Watch

• View Poll Results: Who Will You Save?
    Amy, local company director and founder.
    0%
    John, vicar of local church.
    7.14%
    Lance, head surgeon at local hospital.
    42.86%
    Christian, teen "prodigy", prospective Cambridge Physics student.
    35.71%
    Prince, healthy 3-month-old baby
    14.29%

ReputationRep:
    Five people are trapped in a car. They are all completely unconscious and injured. The car is about to explode. You are the only passerby. Any other help is too far away to arrive in time.

You can only save one of them.

The Five People:

- Amy, 53, local company Director and Founder (98% ownership), employs 1500 people; was on the cusp of signing a deal to expand company, providing an additional 2000 jobs in the local community; having an affair with the local mayor, a married man with 5 kids.

- John, 40, a vicar, leader of the local church with a congregation of 500 people; married, with triplets, aged 5.

- Lance, 35, a doctor, head surgeon at the local hospital; engaged to a junior doctor.

- Christian, 15, "prodigy", just got accepted into Cambridge for Physics; orphan, adopted by 70-year old grandfather.

- Prince, 3-month-old healthy baby; has a single mum.
    Who will you save?

ReputationRep:
    What is your obsession with killing people all the time?

Nuke New York, Annihilate Africa and now this.

I am waiting till you offer us a scenario with various TSR users
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would save the one closest and most accessible to me, regardless of who they are or how they contribute to society. If I had the time to save the person stuck in the middle back seat or on the other side of the car, I could probably have dragged two people out by then.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know any of these people's back-stories just by looking at them through the car window so it wouldn't affect my judgement and I'd just do what I would have done anyway...

which is to stand far away from the car and not risk being caught in the imminent explosion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)

Also, the only time a head surgeon is called Lance is in Grey's Anatomy.
    I genuinely did not know that. You learn something new everyday. :moon:

(Original post by Stanley90)
    I wouldn't know any of these people's back-stories just by looking at them through the car window so it wouldn't affect my judgement and I'd just do what I would have done anyway...

which is to stand far away from the car and not risk being caught in the imminent explosion.
    Come on, it's hypothetical. Don't make it convoluted. Let's just say you do know their occupations and ages and whatnot - then who would you save?

ReputationRep:
    Amy or Lance.

They both represent a lot of years experience and training and are of high value to society.

John represents very little emperical value to society. As regards Christian, there are many prodigies around and about, the chances of him being the next Hawking are slim, and for the baby, well, there's plenty of babies floating about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Come on, it's hypothetical. Don't make it convoluted. Let's just say you do know their occupations and ages and whatnot - then who would you save?
    Well for some reason you haven't given any information about their personal/family lives so we don't know how many people personally depend on them. In terms of the information you've given, they're all easily replaceable, the company will still be there unless there's something you haven't mentioned, the vicar will be replaced, the head surgeon will be replaced and Cambridge will probably give that kid's place to another student. The baby's pretty useless.

Having said that though, based on what little information you've given I'd probably save the baby because it requires the least amount of effort.

ReputationRep:
    Well for some reason you haven't given any information about their personal/family lives so we don't know how many people personally depend on them. In terms of the information you've given, they're all easily replaceable, the company will still be there unless there's something you haven't mentioned, the vicar will be replaced, the head surgeon will be replaced and Cambridge will probably give that kid's place to another student. The baby's pretty useless.

Having said that though, based on what little information you've given I'd probably save the baby because it requires the least amount of effort.
    Fair enough. I'll provide a little more info, before the thread gets busy, otherwise it'll be too late!

ReputationRep:
    x
    I guess I may have gone a little over the top now with the revisions :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The kid

Oh and more threads like this, LOL find em interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Amy's having an affair, which I don't approve of. Even if she dies, her company will continue to run without her.
    John, because he's the vicar of the local church and he can die based purely on that. He can get to heaven and suck off God quicker.
    Christian's smart but so what? He's not really proved much at the age 15. There are thousands of kids just like him. He's not special
    The 3 month old baby will neither know it died nor that it existed.

So Lance, the doctor. The time, effort and cost of becoming a doctor is large. Saving him and allowing to utilise his skills for the next 30 years or so will be a great benefit to society. I also like the fact that he's engage to a young slutty doctor. Go Lance!

ReputationRep:

What, as in, certain TSR users are trapped in a car? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Lance, I would hold it against him for the rest of his life just incase I need some sort of surgery in the future

ReputationRep:

With you among them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.