Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    So I'm in a bit of a pickle...

(I'd first like to apologize for any spelling and grammar mistakes...its 3.30am and Im not really thinking straight)

I'm currently at AS Level (Year 12) studying Business (worth 2 A levels) , IT and Photography.
    I cant stand Photography and IT, and as we have to drop one anyway in the 2nd year, I dont see why I cant drop both and carry on with the AS UCAS points and Business as 2 full a-levels....

But apparently we arent allowed! ¬__¬

Anyway. To the main bit now:

I don't know if I should go to University or not.
    I would much prefer of staying clear of paying for education, being in debt for the next 20-30 years of my life, and potentially getting no job at the end of those 3 years.

I'd prefer to go and get an apprenticeship or job of some kind and work my way up. Actual work experience...

And if I do go to Uni, it will be a foundation course.
    Farnbourough College of Technology do my exact course (Film and Television) but I still dont know if I should go....

Is it the right decision? If I go, I dont want to regret it a year in like I am with my A Levels..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissNatt)
    Hi there!
    So I'm in a bit of a pickle...

(I'd first like to apologize for any spelling and grammar mistakes...its 3.30am and Im not really thinking straight)

I'm currently at AS Level (Year 12) studying Business (worth 2 A levels) , IT and Photography.
    I cant stand Photography and IT, and as we have to drop one anyway in the 2nd year, I dont see why I cant drop both and carry on with the AS UCAS points and Business as 2 full a-levels....

But apparently we arent allowed! ¬__¬

Anyway. To the main bit now:

I don't know if I should go to University or not.
    I would much prefer of staying clear of paying for education, being in debt for the next 20-30 years of my life, and potentially getting no job at the end of those 3 years.

I'd prefer to go and get an apprenticeship or job of some kind and work my way up. Actual work experience...

And if I do go to Uni, it will be a foundation course.
    Farnbourough College of Technology do my exact course (Film and Television) but I still dont know if I should go....

Is it the right decision? If I go, I dont want to regret it a year in like I am with my A Levels..
    What I'd advise you do is look carefully at the area you want to work in. I know a few people doing Media based Uni courses, and they all enjoy them, however, depending on what are you want to go into, a degree isn't always expected. ANd though I don't know the stats, there are a lot of people doing these courses and not so many jobs.

I doubt you'd regret Uni, and you really shouldn't let the debt put you off, on the other hand, if you can find an apprenticship that sounds good to you, then I'd go for that.

As for my personal opinion, and let me stress, this is all opinion, I really have no figures for this, only anecdotal stuff. There are a lot of people doing Media based degrees at the moment, it's exploded in the last 5 years. But a lot of jobs out there in that area don't require a degree as far as I know, and graduates in 'Film & Television', 'Media Studies' and so on are being churned out. Most of these people have little to no industry experience, and instead have only made their own projects and so forth. The job market in those areas is saturated, and I've heard second hand information coming down from people who work at the BBC, and people with degrees are being put to the most basic tasks in big media companies, because a lot of what they learn at Uni is pretty useless at entry level in the media world. Experience is a far more valuable commodity than a degree in the media world, at the moment, in my opinion. But I'd strongly encourage you to research it as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    The above advice is worth taking very seriously. The world is knee deep in 'Media Studies' graduates. Television is a vocational, practical subject and what employers actually want is practical skills and experience. You certainly dont need a degree to work in Film, Television or Radio production.

Look at HND courses and other vocational focused courses that combine study with practical placements. They are shorter and will give you instantly usable job skills.

Some examples :
    * http://www.exe-coll.ac.uk/Course.asp...4-023e7124bcc0
    * http://www.runshaw.ac.uk/vocational-...tended-diploma
    * http://www2.bolton.ac.uk/coursefinde...a-6d2b36b59a77
    * http://www.abcol.ac.uk/courses/full-...rse_id_arg=793
    *http://www.westking.ac.uk/docs/home/...Production.pdf

ReputationRep:
    http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk is a fantastic website! It has a very very large amount of information regarding courses you can do post a levels, as well as a huge database of courses and the like for you to take a look at and apply too!

It has apprentiships, HNDs/HNCs, Foundation Degrees, Vocational Courses and mores, Part time and Full time post A-level jobs, Gap year ideas and planning!

I used it to find training programes for next year, very helpful website!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.