Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

So I graduated 2010 and tried to get a PhD straight away, but as I was a lowly graduate with no experience, I didn't really stand out from the crowd, and didn't get anywhere.

Fast forward to now, and I'm currently in a 48 month postgrad job, in a slightly related field, where they give me a £3k training budget to spend, and I have no idea what to spend it on, I know, tough break eh?

I want to go into biological research, probably immunology, so ideally I'd like to spend it on something that will help me when I do go on to my PhD, or at least something that will make my CV stand out a little more to prospective PhD supervisors.

Talking to my tutor at uni, he has suggested I join Vitae.ac.uk , but they don't have very many suitable courses upcoming, and get on an IP course.

So basically, after all that;

• Does anyone have any recommendations for training courses I should go on?
    • Any places that offer good training courses for someone in my situation?
    • Has anyone been on any courses that they feel has helped them a lot with getting/carrying out a PhD?
    • Where can I find a decent IP course?

Thanks to anyone that made it all the way down here!

A

ReputationRep:
    what is an IP course?

I am a biology graduate as well. On route to a phd, i am applying for an MSc because my marks are not too good as well. If you have an msc with good grades then its more likely to be accepted. Some phds require a 2.1 for a degree mark as well without an MSc and u get in straight away... depends on the phd of course...

ReputationRep:
    If you've got £3000 a year, perhaps you could look into doing an MSc part time, over two years (if you've just started your 48 month position?). Other than that, I don't think I know your field well enough to suggest other options. Sorry!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I don't know what an IP course is! Vitae does some good skills based courses but those won't really give you an edge. What will is either a part time MSc like someone else suggested which has a project component or some research experience. What kind of jobb are you doing at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    An IP course is an intellectual property course.

I got a 2:1 in BMS, and my job is a KTP to do with ophthalmology, unfortunately I need to be able to link my training with a benefit to my company, so a MSc is out of the frame. Luckily my job gives me the opportunity to do an intervention study and a systematic review and hopefully get both published, so that should help me stand out. I've been struggling to find other things that will help, so I will probably spend the money on presenting at conferences if possible.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    An IP course will not help you application for a biology PhD unless you plan for the PhD to be in IP law as it relates to biology or some such. You really need research experience or to do some technical courses. I think I saw some advertised through the Society of Biology so maybe look there.

ReputationRep:
    HI I'm a consultant working with a number of University biology departments as a trainer. Alleycat393 is correct, in that a course on Intellectual property, interesting though it might be, is not going to help you get a PhD position by itself. Vitae is an organisation that runs a number of courses to develop the 'transferable skills' of people already doing a PhD - you should go on them when you have your position, but they wouldn't be my first step.

I'd do two things: first call a number of Universities and speak directly to their post-grad admissions people. Are they recruiting PhD's, can you talk to some people in the department and what do they think would help you get selected? I know that some Unis are concerned about not having enough applications following the rise in UG fees and students having debt, so this might be a good time!

Cheers and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Alleycat, I have some technical skills as I did approx 4 months voluntary research for the above tutor, in between graduation and now, the SoB sounds like a good place to look though, thanks.

And thanks KP, speaking to admissions sounds like a good idea, I'll do that.

As for the IP course, it was suggested by the above tutor, I think mainly because he's working on a patent at the minute, so it was probably in his mind.

Cheers all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.