Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What GCSE's for Biomedical Sciences? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Biomedical Sciences at Oxford, but I don't know if my GCSE results were good enough?
    I got 5A*'s 3A's 2B's. For A-level I am studying Biology, Chemistry, English language and literature, and Economics. My teachers expect me to get A*,AAA.
    What do you think my chances would be?

ReputationRep:
    Please note: Tutors would prefer to see Mathematics or Physics as part of your subject combination at A2, or equivalent qualification.

Otherwise you're fine. It would be a risk, but then you will probably get multiple offers elsewhere so why not?

ReputationRep:
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1152980#CSRA

ReputationRep:
    Right so:

You will be well suited to our course if you are:

on track to achieve A*AA at A-level (or international equivalent) in two or more subjects from the sciences and mathematics; Biology and Chemistry, yes
    excited by the prospect of extending your knowledge of science beyond what you have studied at school, and learning how it can be applied in research and clinical practice; Good personal statement can show that
    eager to learn about the processes underlying cell and systems biology and neuroscience;Personal statement again/work experience
    intrigued by the interdisciplinary nature of the subject; Extra courses or work experience in 6th form years can show that
    analytical and have good numerical skills. Do you have a good maths GCSE, at least? I suppose English lit and Economics can demonstrate analytical skills as well.
    To make a competitive application you will need a strong academic background with top grades (mostly A*s or As) at GCSE (or equivalent qualifications). Theoretically, you do have mostly As and A*s. Just be aware there are many many many applicants with no Bs or below, that's all.

I believe you also have to take the BMAT for this course? Maybe not...but I think so. Google to find out what it is if you do not know/find out if you have to. That won't be until a years time though. You'll need a very good score.

I think you have a chance, like everyone else who fits the minimum requirements! It's just a case of standing out with work experience and extra courses. I never received any official feedback from Oxford for my rejection, despite them saying they'd get back to me 3 times, but I think my application, while fit with the requirements, lacked that extra "wow" in terms of extra things that I did. While I got onto all other 4 courses I applied to, some of the Oxford applicants were probably just ticking the box massively in every category, and those were the ones who got the offers.

So, my point is, I'd advise lots of extra things to accompany your application. While I admire your determination to get onto the Oxford course, please apply for others as well!

ReputationRep:
    You do have to do BMAT. If you need any advice on the test, I'd be willing to help (BMAT sitter '12 -_- )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.