Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll start the IB this August, so I'm going through my subject choices now (late? YES ) and I can't decide between SL Chinese and ab initio French.

I can read and speak Chinese quite fluently, but my written Chinese is awful. I'd say my Chinese is currently ab initio standard, but for some strange reason the school I applied to has allowed me to take SL (!!). Taking ab initio Chinese is not something I'd be interested in as I don't like it that much and just maintaining it at this level would be a waste of time.

French on the other hand is completely new to me, but is a language I've always thought beautiful and interesting. If we were going by level of interest, I'd probably take French... but I am ultimately capital-A Ambitious, and would really like an overall score of around 40 :ahee:

So my question is: would it be easier to score in SL Chinese (with my current crappy standard) or ab initio French (my knowledge of being zero)? Also, do universities take into account the level of the language, so SL would be better than ab initio, or more languages = better, therefore ab initio French and my current knowledge of Chinese would be advantageous?

Really lengthy... urgh sorry

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar dilemma when I chose my subjects. So French or ab initio Italian. I already had a French gcse and AS but I did not know a word of Italian. I chose Italian, I am predicted a 6 and 41 overall. I have friends who were the same as me but chose French and things seem much harder for them.

Ab initio pros:
    everyone starts at the same level
    You literally don't need to know anything before

Ab initio cons:
    It's pretty intense, you skip very quickly through the basic vocab and grammar and go into the harder topics, this then requires a lot of self revision and learning the basics yourself. I didn't do this in the beginning and this then made it very hard for me later on because I didn't really have a strong foundation upon which to build.

Personally, I would advise doing the subject that interests you now. You may be better at Chinese but you will not get a good grade if you don't enjoy it, I can tell you that for sure. I do not regret taking ab initio at all. Whereas your five other subjects will be difficult, ab initio will be just that slightly bit easier purely because you are not expected to be at the same level as standard people.

To conclude, I do not want you to think ab initio is easy. Do what you think you will enjoy and the grades will follow. Do not follow the grades. With regards to universities, it really depends. Depends on country, course and university. I would do a bit of research to make sure you don't exclude yourself from universities you might consider at a later date.

Sorry, this is really long, I hope this helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saltire)
    I had a similar dilemma when I chose my subjects. So French or ab initio Italian. I already had a French gcse and AS but I did not know a word of Italian. I chose Italian, I am predicted a 6 and 41 overall. I have friends who were the same as me but chose French and things seem much harder for them.

Ab initio pros:
    everyone starts at the same level
    You literally don't need to know anything before

Ab initio cons:
    It's pretty intense, you skip very quickly through the basic vocab and grammar and go into the harder topics, this then requires a lot of self revision and learning the basics yourself. I didn't do this in the beginning and this then made it very hard for me later on because I didn't really have a strong foundation upon which to build.

Personally, I would advise doing the subject that interests you now. You may be better at Chinese but you will not get a good grade if you don't enjoy it, I can tell you that for sure. I do not regret taking ab initio at all. Whereas your five other subjects will be difficult, ab initio will be just that slightly bit easier purely because you are not expected to be at the same level as standard people.

To conclude, I do not want you to think ab initio is easy. Do what you think you will enjoy and the grades will follow. Do not follow the grades. With regards to universities, it really depends. Depends on country, course and university. I would do a bit of research to make sure you don't exclude yourself from universities you might consider at a later date.

Sorry, this is really long, I hope this helps a bit.
    Thank you so much! it helped tremendously will most probably go for french now haha. thanks again (:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.