Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First time traveler, how do I do this?! Is STA good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've found a 'round the world' trip on STA which is £509 (http://www.statravel.co.uk/the-big-cheap.htm) but it doesn't say what it includes. I don't know if I have to pay for my own accommodation etc? I'm thinking that maybe this is just for the flights and that's it. I kind of wanted a 'package' round the world trip where all the flights, accommodation and any extra cost are included so that I can just pay it all in one go and not have to worry about it - but I don't know if something like that even exists.

Does any one have any suggestions as to how I can travel and see at least 3 different countries i.e apart from something like STA how do you arrange something like that? Is it better to go through an agent or plan it yourself? See I've found a coach (Megabus) that can take me to Paris for £25 (15 hours lol) but that's half the price of the cheapest flight I can see (trying to keep to a budget). Then I could go to a hostel and get into other parts of Europe by rail. So yeah, there's so many ways of doing it but I don't know what's best, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say plan it yourself. As you've been doing, find the cheapest transport, find a cheap place to stay, and you're most of the way there. It's not as difficult as it seems.

If you're flexible on dates and set on travelling with Megabus, make sure you check every date on the website around the time that you want to leave as they often have £1 fairs even to Europe. I know that they do to Amsterdam at the moment for dates in May/June/July.

STA can be good for flights, but I often find cheaper options when using sites like Skyscanner.

ReputationRep:
    RTW trips are just for the flights.
    You might want to double check if that £509 includes taxes, fees and all other charges...as those could easily more than double the final price.

In a way they're convenient and can be good value...but the sacrifice you make is flexibility. If cheap enough, i'd take one for ****s and giggles...and having travelled a bit before, i reckon i could make a pretty good job of planning it. How a first time traveller is supposed to know they want 3 weeks in Delhi, 5 days in HK, 2 weeks in Tokyo, 4 weeks in Melbourne, 1 week in LA and 2 weeks in NY is beyond me... Yeah, you can change dates...but i have rarely heard stories about how quick, easy, painless and cheap that process is....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.