Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm looking to get a new laptop before going back to uni but have no idea what any of it means! The big question is do I need a dual core processor or is that not necessary? And are intel processors much better than AMD processors? I'd just want to do normal studenty things with the laptop, no gaming or anything, but obviously want it to be as fast as possible! Any advice would be gratefully received. At the moment I'm basically choosing between:

TOSHIBA Satellite L850-166

TOSHIBA Satellite L850-161

HP ENVY 6 Sleekbook 1006sa (because it looks cool)

ReputationRep:
    By student-y things, I presume you mean stuff like browsing, word processing, etc.? You don't need a powerful PC at all for that, I use a netbook with Linux installed for word processing and it's fine.

On the whole, I think Intel processors are usually better than AMDs, but there's no definite consensus on it, it's like how people say Mac is better than Windows, it's a personal choice. I'd say you should go for the cheapest one, and spend the money you saved on Office 2010 (if you're familiar with OpenOffice then that is a much cheaper alternative). The middle one seems good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by at269)
    Hey! I'm looking to get a new laptop before going back to uni but have no idea what any of it means! The big question is do I need a dual core processor or is that not necessary? And are intel processors much better than AMD processors? I'd just want to do normal studenty things with the laptop, no gaming or anything, but obviously want it to be as fast as possible! Any advice would be gratefully received. At the moment I'm basically choosing between:

TOSHIBA Satellite L850-166

TOSHIBA Satellite L850-161

HP ENVY 6 Sleekbook 1006sa (because it looks cool)
    Intel are better for your needs.......

can you provide links to the laptops as well?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.