Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys;

The title says it all; has any one done their essay yet? Its the lower sixth essay on Trinity College Cambridge's website...Iv submitted mine, it'll be nice to see if anyone else has (competition and all that....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    Hi guys;

The title says it all; has any one done their essay yet? Its the lower sixth essay on Trinity College Cambridge's website...Iv submitted mine, it'll be nice to see if anyone else has (competition and all that....)

I submitted mine literally on the day. Did you find writing it easy? How long was yours? I struggled soo much with mine. It was about 1450 words and it took me such a long time to write.

ReputationRep:
    Hi- nice to someone doing the essay

In terms of ease, well, the first challenge was to actually understand what the question was asking- it did require a significant amount of thinking, it was just so ambiguous.

My word count was 1998 and took about a month- I understand what you mean when you say struggled to write so much; my biggest worry is whether I've just repeated points too much or just waffled on....

Are you thinking of law at cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    My biggest worry is that I might've written off-topic. The topic was quite broad and I didn't understand the bit on discrimination. Do lots of people enter these competitions?? I was considering studying law at Cambridge but now I am thinking about ppe at oxford. Are you thinking about Cambridge law??

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about the numbers entering; it is only the first year they've offered it. Im pretty set (but by no means certain) about doing Law at Cambridge- but I have flirted with PPE; it sounds really interesting, but it's so competitive and if you dont make it into Oxford, then you have go to someplace like York (which is good but not Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    So, Ive just been emailed- turns out my essay was in the "highly commended" group- not too shabby at all...

Anyone else heard back from them? Any one else win?

ReputationRep:
    I entered, but mine was only 'commended'... I found it difficult to stay on topic and find supporting material! It was a good experience and I found the question very interesting (even though when I saw the title for the first time I was a bit disappointed)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melie.H)
    I entered, but mine was only 'commended'... I found it difficult to stay on topic and find supporting material! It was a good experience and I found the question very interesting (even though when I saw the title for the first time I was a bit disappointed)...
    nice- well done! I know- I faced the same problems too- the question was just so ambiguous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    nice- well done! I know- I faced the same problems too- the question was just so ambiguous...

Mine didn't win. I totally didn't expect to anyway because I barely understood the question to begin with. How did you interpret it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thando684)
    Mine didn't win. I totally didn't expect to anyway because I barely understood the question to begin with. How did you interpret it?
    I interpreted it as whether being religious should allow for exemption from being discriminated- this lead to the role of religion in society, the relationship between law and religion etc..

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I considered the diversity of beliefs in our society today, then I considered the potential for religious conflict, the effect of religious conflict and concluded that we were better off protecting religious beliefs.
    Then I examined problems with our existing legislation and challenges that it may face in the future (eg the difficulty in defining the term, the boundaries of the law, the exceptions within the rules and situations where 'rights' may conflict (eg female priests and gay marriage)).
    Finally, I had to try to cram a conclusion in...

After I sent it I realised there was so much more I could have said!
    Did any of you find it really hard to reference? I tried using the Oxford system but gave up half way through and ended up using a mixture of about three systems!
    What did you write about?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I considered the diversity of beliefs in our society today, then I considered the potential for religious conflict, the effect of religious conflict and concluded that we were better off protecting religious beliefs.
    Then I examined problems with our existing legislation and challenges that it may face in the future (eg the difficulty in defining the term, the boundaries of the law, the exceptions within the rules and situations where 'rights' may conflict (eg female priests and gay marriage)).
    Finally, I had to try to cram a conclusion in...

After I sent it I realised there was so much more I could have said!
    Did any of you find it really hard to reference? I tried using the Oxford system but gave up half way through and ended up using a mixture of about three systems!
    What did you write about?
    I know that feeling- "l'esprit de l'escalier....

What's the oxford system of referencing? I just copied and pasted website links... (I'm crap when it comes to admin stuff like that...)

So I wrote:
    1) Religion in society (and a decline in Christianity)
    2) Religion should not gain superiority over practicalities (e.g. health and safety)
    3) Problem of definging religious beliefs
    4) Benefits of religion and preferential treatment
    5) Balance of religious law and national law (from a religious perspective)

I was agains the idea of religion being given preferential treatment in discirmination etc..

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford system (I think the acronym is OSCOLA) is and Oxford way of refrencing law... It took me a good two days to get my head around what I had to do!
    Ooh, I like the idea of balancing religious law with national law!
    what did you say were the benefits of preferential treatment towards religion? I couldn't think of any!

ReputationRep:
    For mine, I first defined the law and its purpose (the execution of justice) then I looked at whether or not accommodating religious beliefs (making allowances for people's religious beliefs and customs) within the law would be pertaining to that purpose (whether accommodating religious beliefs would create a 'double standard' thus resulting in the law being unjust) and whether discrimination in itself could ever be said to be fair (can you discriminate in such a way as to be fair?) In hindsight, I think mine was kind of all over the place. Did anyone's perception of law as an academic discipline change at all after working on this essay? Is anyone having second thoughts about applying to Cambridge for law (or anywhere else)?

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford system (I think the acronym is OSCOLA) is and Oxford way of refrencing law... It took me a good two days to get my head around what I had to do!
    Ooh, I like the idea of balancing religious law with national law!
    what did you say were the benefits of preferential treatment towards religion? I couldn't think of any!
    basically, when there's a conflict between religion and law in the courts, the judiciary interprets religous teachings- but that should really require a religious, learned man- it prevents mis interpreatation

ReputationRep:
    For mine, I first defined the law and its purpose (the execution of justice) then I looked at whether or not accommodating religious beliefs (making allowances for people's religious beliefs and customs) within the law would be pertaining to that purpose (whether accommodating religious beliefs would create a 'double standard' thus resulting in the law being unjust) and whether discrimination in itself could ever be said to be fair (can you discriminate in such a way as to be fair?) In hindsight, I think mine was kind of all over the place. Did anyone's perception of law as an academic discipline change at all after working on this essay? Is anyone having second thoughts about applying to Cambridge for law (or anywhere else)?
    Not really- I found it really interesting- law permeates into every aspect of life- including religion. It shows how seemingly small issues (like wearing a piece of metal in the shape of the cross) can raise the big questions such as the relationship between the law and religion. Im still applying for Oxbridge- though not that sure between Oxford and Cambridge...

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I found it really interesting, so I'm still hoping to apply to Cambridge (if my exams go well)!

ReputationRep:
    For me, I was never sure about law. I always felt like it would be something I'd enjoy but I wasn't sure if it was THE COURSE for me. So I think I'm pretty set on PPE, so I'll probably apply to Oxford. By the way, does Oxford look at AS levels at all? Because they don't really mention them on their website, just A-level grade predictions. The thing is, I'm a self-taught homeschooler so getting grade predictions would be kind of complicated (I only have tutoring in Maths). What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    For me, I was never sure about law. I always felt like it would be something I'd enjoy but I wasn't sure if it was THE COURSE for me. So I think I'm pretty set on PPE, so I'll probably apply to Oxford. By the way, does Oxford look at AS levels at all? Because they don't really mention them on their website, just A-level grade predictions. The thing is, I'm a self-taught homeschooler so getting grade predictions would be kind of complicated (I only have tutoring in Maths). What do you guys think?
    From what I know, they look at whether you've got A's or not- but they dont look at your UMS- they rely more on subject exams than Cambridge: as for the home-schooling issue, I would recommend contacting the admissions offices for the college(s) you're thinking of applying to.

ReputationRep:
    anyone entered for 2014?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.