Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I've recently applied to do Architectural Technology, I've been accepted and now have 5 unconditional offers. Now after thinking about it and attending a few applicant days I'm starting to have second thoughts over the course itself and whether swapping to the straight architecture course is more worthwhile. I've spoken to the admissions of Plymouth where I'm thinking of going and they say that it is possible.

One reason for thinking this is that I got about 90 more UCAS points more than what is required by the course, and I've begun to think that I can be doing something where I'm not so over-qualified. I've heard that the AT course is actually harder than the architecture course itself, and that it will indeed be a challenge with less "arty-farty" stuff in it and more technical knowledge, but with the architecture course I would presume that it is an overall better qualification for future job prospects. I'm a little cautious over the AT since I feel I may be limiting myself a little and that if I go into an architecture practice I won't be able to progress much.

Of course I wouldn't have come this far if I didn't think doing it was something I seriously wanted to, but recently the thought of architecture has been appealing to me more, what with more of a design emphesis and more of a variety. I'm just going through whether it's worth doing the extra few years it takes to complete the architecture degree and coming out with a more widely recognised degree, and the better career prospects.

I'd really appreciate any advice to help make my choice.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what type of person you are, if you like and enjoy more the designing and sketching then go for architecture but if you enjoy more of what goes behind in making a building and how it works than go for AT... I applied and got in to architecture at dmu but after I went to the applicant open day I decide to applied for AT instead and it's my first choice now.. Am an arty person but just enjoy the technology and technical side more

go with the one that you would enjoy and the one you'd love to do because your passionate about it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Im doing Architectural Tech at Plymouth now and am loving it!

There's only 15 of us on the course compare to the 150 in Architecture, so we get much more 1 on 1 contact time.

It really depends on your interests. Architecture focuses on design and theory. Architectural Tech focuses on sustainable design, building science and construction.

In the first year i have done these modules: Design, Architectural History and Theory, Domestic Construction, Environmental Building Science, Communications (CAD and Drawing tutorials), Structural Design and Surveying.

All the Professional Architects that i have spoken to this year say that the Architectural Technologist is the most valued member of a practice.

It also is a lot of work. We have presentations every week and a lot of coursework compared to other subjects. But if, like me, you enjoy it its not a chore.

PM me if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    ^That sounds cool. I've just firmed Plymouth for ATE.

I had offers for both, but It was the science and construction side of things that made me choose Architectural Tech over Architecture.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Its a great course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.