The Student Room Group

Duke of Edinburgh - Is it 'essential' for Oxbridge?

removed
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In all honesty, i don't think uni's care at all about dofe, and if you're applying for a competitive course e.g medicine/dentistry or a really competitive uni, i'm pretty certain the uni's are looking for someone who stands out from the crowd and hasn't done the same old '...'
It's not essential as long as you've got grade 5 bassoon.
Original post by cambio wechsel
It's not essential as long as you've got grade 5 bassoon.

Fool. Only oboe is accepted.
Not at all, by all means do it if you have the time, but your exam results are far more important.
Reply 5
Of the 4 people I know at Oxford, only 1 has done DofE.

It's a good thing to do regardless of whether it will give your application a boost. Don't do it just because it makes you look like a more rounded candidate.
Reply 6
At Oxbridge they probably won't consider it at all. I don't think any of the people I know who got into Oxbridge were doing DofE...
Original post by SebMurphy
Of the 4 people I know at Oxford, only 1 has done DofE.

It's a good thing to do regardless of whether it will give your application a boost. Don't do it just because it makes you look like a more rounded candidate.

Are you suggesting that someone does something to fulfil themselves, not just to put in their personal statement? That's a fairly radical suggestion. It could destabilise the entire of post-16 education.
Original post by PythianLegume
Fool. Only oboe is accepted.

Were you thinking of Medicine? For Arts, it's strictly bassoon or St John's Ambulance.
Reply 9
Are you suggesting that someone does something to fulfil themselves, not just to put in their personal statement? That's a fairly radical suggestion. It could destabilise the entire of post-16 education.

Can you imagine the fallout if more people did that!
Original post by Nick Latham
Would the completion of bronze, silver or gold DofE courses be a vital help or a necessity for getting in to the higher universities? Right now I am in power to do the DofE, but I am debating whether it is worth it or not...

You need to post more on TSR. Oxbridge admissions tutors look you up on TSR and you get points for the amount of green gems you have.
Reply 11
Seeing a dead sheep made it worth it. For me, that is - I know taste varies.
Original post by HollyB_C
Seeing a dead sheep made it worth it. For me, that is - I know taste varies.

We saw a Bugatti Veyron pass us, and apparently another team passed David Cameron. One of their team members then said 'who was that, he looked familiar?'
Definitely not vital, might help but less so for Oxbridge. You would be better off investing the extra time in reading around your degree of choice.
Reply 14
You need to post more on TSR. Oxbridge admissions tutors look you up on TSR and you get points for the amount of green gems you have.

I had the best chuckle at this one! Have you even seen the websites for Oxford and Cambridge? So wordy, hardly any links, no photos. I doubt they know how to even surf the net.
Would the completion of bronze, silver or gold DofE courses be a vital help or a necessity for getting in to the higher universities? Right now I am in power to do the DofE, but I am debating whether it is worth it or not...

Nope. I've talked to a few Cambridge tutors and they all said that if it isn't related to the subject your applying for, they don't really care that much, and it won't affect the strength of your application.

Although it is worth doing DofE for the sake of it, seeing as it seems really fun (I haven't done it yet, but am going to).
(edited 10 years ago)
No
Reply 17
We saw a Bugatti Veyron pass us, and apparently another team passed David Cameron. One of their team members then said 'who was that, he looked familiar?'

Oh gosh, where was your expedition? Kensington Gardens? The Peak District, en revanche, offered such sights as vagrants and Lidl carrier bags.

Such is life.
Reply 18

if you don't want to do it, don't
Original post by HollyB_C
Oh gosh, where was your expedition? Kensington Gardens? The Peak District, en revanche, offered such sights as vagrants and Lidl carrier bags.

Such is life.

Mine was near Henley, not sure where the guys who saw DC were (it was the year below me), but generally the Oxfordshire countryside is pretty well-off :P

Quick Reply

Latest