Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started learning about why CFCs damage the ozone layer, and I'm not entirely clear about what a radical is. I've drawn out dot-cross diagrams of the formation of radicals from a CFC molecule, but I'm still not sure.
    Is a chlorine atom a radical?
    Is the remaining F2ClC molecule a radical or an ion or something else?
    I get that a radical means that it has one or more unpaired electrons, but I'm not quite sure what it really means?
    Do all radicals have to be noted with a dot next to them?
    Is the only difference between a radical and an ion that in an ion all of the elements have full outer shells?
    Why do you get radicals rather than ions when UV radiation hits a CFC?
    Help!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DayFlower)
    I've just started learning about why CFCs damage the ozone layer, and I'm not entirely clear about what a radical is. I've drawn out dot-cross diagrams of the formation of radicals from a CFC molecule, but I'm still not sure.
    Is a chlorine atom a radical?
    Is the remaining F2ClC molecule a radical or an ion or something else?
    I get that a radical means that it has one or more unpaired electrons, but I'm not quite sure what it really means?
    Do all radicals have to be noted with a dot next to them?
    Is the only difference between a radical and an ion that in an ion all of the elements have full outer shells?
    Why do you get radicals rather than ions when UV radiation hits a CFC?
    Help!!!
    A radical is a neutral species with at least one unpaired electron.

Chlorine atoms are free radicals. They have seven electrons in the outer shell and are formed by homolytic fission of a chlorine molecule.

Cl-Cl --> 2Cl•

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.