Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I might sound like a old lady asking this (I guess in university terms I am at 26) but does anyone go to university to study anymore?

I ask this as most students I come across don't have the slightest interest in their degree, they just seem to want to go and have the 'student experience'.

It seems to be all about drinking and getting laid. I think £27000 (and the rest) worth of debt is an expensive way just to have a laugh.

I have worked since I was 16 and last year I enrolled on an access course and come September I will start my degree.

I know what it is like being 18 and I understand the social aspect and I have had a lot of fun when I was a teenager, but I balanced it out and I worked hard and played hard, but I didn't jeopardized my future for a few drinks with a few friends I will never see again as I grew up.

When I was choosing the university I want to attend, the things that made my mind up were facilities, what my course involved, how passionate about the subject the lecturers’ were, whether I could park on campus etc. I wanted to know what that university could offer me for £9000 a year.

During each tour I noticed the rest of the students were more focused on the student bar, what nightlife was like and where the university was in the league tables. (Personally I am not too bothered about tables as I visited one of the top 10 and I wasn't impressed with the science facilities at all, guess depends on what degree you do)

For most of my visit days I felt like I was in a play ground and not in a learning environment.

I know there are a lot of students that do work very hard and take their degree seriously, however, there just seems to be so many that take this great opportunity for granted.

Basically, I just want to know why you would waste a chance at university and a hopefully positive future, just to get drunk; as well as get yourself in debt for the privilege?

ReputationRep:
    I’m 21 (I had to take time out to have surgery and so I am now in year 13) you have summed up my experience of other students perfectly. I try not to generalise and it is not always true but a lot of people I know, and people who applied for my course, just don’t seem to have the same understanding of what an opportunity university can offer you.

ReputationRep:
    You may not fully right because all the people have not to go university for student experience. Many students make own bright future through university degree. It is the gateway of students future. So many student go to university for the degree which makes them successful person in their life.

ReputationRep:
    I found the same thing with my university. I studied Educational Studies and actually did my dissertation on asking people why they chose to go to university and why they chose their course and it was staggering how many people took little to no interest in their course whatsoever, other than as a piece of paper to wave at potential employers. People took their degree seriously when it was needed but even then it was only on that strictly pragmatic level and nothing to do with any kind of genuinely personal interest.

There are people interested though, it's just that the ones that aren't tend to make more noise .

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and in second year; I'm going to university for the degree first and foremost, I live at home and commute to uni each day so I don't get the same experience as the others who live near the uni but I'm happy I decided to stay at home, I still see my friends regularly but I also don't have the distraction of nights out every night as I live nowhere near the campus! I don't really care for the nightlife because it doesn't bother me that much anyway, I live near central Manchester so I wouldn't have gained anything by moving away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.