Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else taking the A2 English literature paper in the summer?/ taken it previously and have any effective ways of revising? The fact we aren't allowed the books in the exam is driving me insane (even though it's probably for the better as it means I won't be wasting time looking for quotations) because I'm finding it difficult to come up with ways of learning all the quotes/ knowing which quotes I should learn! (I'm studying Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth and Frankenstein) eurghh exams suck.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking this exam.

Finding the memorising of quotations ok so far

Edit: I've got three negs because...?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Im doing AQA Spec B on the gothic - Wuthering Heights, Dr Faustus & The Bloody Chamber.

Have you looked at the York Notes books, these are good! - there's a 3 day online free trial too if you have a look before you buy them.

ReputationRep:
    I've found the best way to learn quotes is to keep reading them out to my friend who hates Wuthering Heights. That way I can recite them and annoy him at the same time!
    Writing them on postick notes and sticking them near my desk helps too.
    I wouldn't get too hung up over it though, they are aware it's a closed book exam so they'll go easy on us. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapercutMagnet)
    I've found the best way to learn quotes is to keep reading them out to my friend who hates Wuthering Heights. That way I can recite them and annoy him at the same time!
    Writing them on postick notes and sticking them near my desk helps too.
    I wouldn't get too hung up over it though, they are aware it's a closed book exam so they'll go easy on us. (:

Hey - what sort of quotes are you reciting and why? im really struggling on wuthering heights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheskarose)
    Is anybody else taking the A2 English literature paper in the summer?/ taken it previously and have any effective ways of revising? The fact we aren't allowed the books in the exam is driving me insane (even though it's probably for the better as it means I won't be wasting time looking for quotations) because I'm finding it difficult to come up with ways of learning all the quotes/ knowing which quotes I should learn! (I'm studying Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth and Frankenstein) eurghh exams suck.

Thank you!
    It is by far the hardest part! I sat the exam in January as a "practice run" not expecting to get the grade i was after and I got the A* with 96% We did The Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus and Wuthering Heights.

The thing which helped me was doing essay plans, or topic plans. For example choose something like setting, find quotes and write in a spider diagram. This way you are learning quotes but relating them to possible essay questions and themes

The exam is much easier that LITB1 Aspects of narrative!

p.s why the neg?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SagarG)
    Hey - what sort of quotes are you reciting and why? im really struggling on wuthering heights
    Well it's a closed book exam so it's nice to have some quotes to throw in there. I'm a bit worried about evidence for AO2, that's why I was doing it.
    It's sometimes a hard text to like but I found group discussions a really good way of going through the text and working out what's going on. I wouldn't recommend the 2011 film, I watched it the other day and it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah English lit is a confusing one for me too, because though its very content based, but you can't really memorise it like you can do history. I'm also doing this exam (studying B.chamber, Macbeth, and W.heights). Up to now my revision check list is...
    memorise quotes, ch/act summaries and key gothic conventions(this is the only thing you can really memorise)
    go through years notes, and do further work developing interpretation, using york notes for help and task ideas, reading other interpretations of the text ect
    plan exam responses on a3 (this way I find out my weak spots, and also helps to get used to using quotes in relation to questions)
    write responses in exam conditions

not sure if that will help anyone, but it's my plan. interested in what other people do to revise such a flippy floppy non factual subject (don't worry I love literature, its just not v.straightforward!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapercutMagnet)
    Well it's a closed book exam so it's nice to have some quotes to throw in there. I'm a bit worried about evidence for AO2, that's why I was doing it.
    It's sometimes a hard text to like but I found group discussions a really good way of going through the text and working out what's going on. I wouldn't recommend the 2011 film, I watched it the other day and it was awful.

Ahh i know, im leaving wuthering heights for last because its so much to go through whereas bloody chamber is in nice bite sized chunks

and haha i know right - and ironically enough the director for the 2011 version (andrea arnold) is the mum of a daughter in the college i go to and we watched the priemier and interviewed her!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.