Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting a PhD at Kent on the Medway campus in July. Just wondering if anyone knows whether most PhD students stay in the halls at Liberty Quays or in private accommodation nearby?

J

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jazar
    Not sure if PHD students prefer renting at Liberty Quays but I thought I would respond to you with some information about the accommodation situation in Gillingham in case that is of help. (I am a landlord that rents to students in Gillingham). There are 3 factors at play that could result in an oversupply of accommodation: (i) This year because of the hike in student fees there is a drop in the number of students applying to Medway Campus; (ii) the universities are building more accommodation; (iii) there is an increase in the level of private accommodation available to students in Gillingham. This is great news for students because you should have lots of choice and also this competition could drive down rents. I am aware that there is lots of space at Liberty Quays and there are many rooms available to rent privately. At one time I believe that Liberty quays was reserved for first years only but quite recently the accommodation officer at Kent Uni told me that they are offering rooms to any students. I would assume that some post grad students will opt to stay there. Advantages are the quality of the accommodation (the block is 3 years old) and the availability of en suite facilities.

I have rented to mature/post grad students who tell me that they choose private accommodation because they prefer to live with like minded individuals (wanting to avoid the party lifestyle), private accommodation is significantly cheaper and they like they want to live in a normal house with the associated home comforts.

Do let me know if you would like any more information about accommodation in Gillingham.

At the moment I have one room in a house with mature students that is very close to the Medway Campus. The all inclusive rent is £80 a week for a double room. Let me know if you would like any more information.

Good luck with your move to Medway.

Regards

Marlena

ReputationRep:
    Hey Marlena,
    Hope you are well. Do you have accommodation options for the Canterbury Campus?
    I'm an international postgraduate student and would really like to live with other postgraduate students .
    Please advice. :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.