Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if this is the correct method for answering the question at the top of the page, undoubtedly there's a few mistakes, so could somebody point me in the right direction please!

Thanks a lot, klaxoii

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Klaxoii)
    Just wondering if this is the correct method for answering the question at the top of the page, undoubtedly there's a few mistakes, so could somebody point me in the right direction please!

Thanks a lot, klaxoii

Posted from TSR Mobile

The (k+1)th term is not

\dfrac{k+1}{k+2}

You need to show that the sum to k+1 is that.

Hint:

The r(th) term is given by.

\dfrac{1}{r(r+1)}

Sum to k+1 = sum to k + (k+1)th term.

ReputationRep:

Thanks a lot, klaxoii

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some small details have been missed which would mean you lose marks, eg at the start sub in 1 into LHS and RHS, also its helpful to sub k+1 into original summation formula so you know what you are aiming for. Conclusion at the end isn't finished. Here's a different question I did, that's how I think it should be set out for guaranteed full marks, sorry about the bad handwriting

EDIT: I see you subbed k+1 into the original summation formula but you have to show that sum of r= 1 to k+1th term is equal to this. As mentioned above sum up to k + (k+1)th term is required
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

Thanks a lot, klaxoii

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've made quite a few mistakes and Indeterminate has given the main one but here's a few tips.

Firstly, after 'when n=1' you have written an equation which is true for n=1 but you haven't really shown that both sides of the original equation are 1/2 with a substitution of n=1.

Try to be thorough e.g. you could say, When n=1:

\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \frac{1}{r(r+1)} = ...

and \displaystyle \frac{n}{n+1} = ...

Also, after you've written 'assume true for n=k', you've written an expression that doesn't really mean anything. You must make sure that all your working is readable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Some small details have been missed which would mean you lose marks, eg at the start sub in 1 into LHS and RHS, also its helpful to sub k+1 into original summation formula so you know what you are aiming for. Conclusion at the end isn't finished. Here's a different question I did, that's how I think it should be set out for guaranteed full marks, sorry about the bad handwriting
    Thanks a lot, to both, i'll put into practise what you've said!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Someone forgot to check the sticky page
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks a lot, to both, i'll put into practise what you've said!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, your conclusion should be something like:

"From the assumption that the result is true for n=k, we get that it is also true for n=k+1. Therefore, as it is true for n=1, it is true for all n \geq 1 (where n is an integer) by mathematical induction".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Someone forgot to check the sticky page
    Its a different question i sent though, so i guess its allowed

ReputationRep:
    Its a different question i sent though, so i guess its allowed
    Dammit I didn't check, I just wanted to grill you :cool:

Aside from that, how's revision going? Evidently you're cool with FP1 lol..

ReputationRep:
    In addition to what's said above, my teacher said to label what you are assuming to be true (the bit where you put k in) the 'induction hypothesis'. Then when you use it later, say that this is by the induction hypothesis.
    As said before, it might be helpful to clearly state what you are trying to prove so the examiner knows and you know what you're trying to find.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Dammit I didn't check, I just wanted to grill you :cool:

Aside from that, how's revision going? Evidently you're cool with FP1 lol..
    Yeah fp1 isn't bad I try do do at least about 40mins a day of it, should be good. Might do the last parts of induction you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fp1 isn't bad I try do do at least about 40mins a day of it, should be good. Might do the last parts of induction you?
    Haven't done much on it if I'm honest, but the exam is quite late and there's not much content so I guess most of my FP1 revision will happen in the half term of may. Other than that, I'm basically about to finish D1, finished S1 a little while back and the rest is cool. Who knows, I may even have a look at my chemistry book soon :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.