Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I am currently in my second year of a physics course, and am planning on pursuing a career in teaching once I graduate in a year and a bit. I already have experience as a teaching assistant at a local comprehensive school and have a month's internship established for the summer as well. So I think I'm doing ok experience-wise.

However, I was wondering when was the best time to apply for a PGCE. I saw something online that said applications were opening about now, but surely this is way premature considering I don't even have my second year results yet (in fact I haven't even sat the exams). Would applying in September/October be too late? As that'd be ideal giving me time to assess all available options and courses and visit a few universities as well.

Applications for 2014 entry will open early October

If you're graduating in 2014 and want to go straight into the PGCE afterwards, you need to apply at some point in your final year. The earliest you can do this is October, but since you're studying Physics there's no particular rush if you feel you need a bit longer to gain more experience and work on your personal statement.

For oversubscribed subjects like History and English, it's important to get in there early (apply by Christmas) but Physics is a shortage subject and there are more places available.

I'm training in a shortage subject (MFL) and I applied last March and started the course in September. There are people on the course with me who applied at the very last minute (July/August) and were still successful. I wouldn't really recommend that, as the sooner you have a place the sooner you can sort out living arrangements, etc. but I'm sure you'd be fine to apply in January/February rather than rushing for October, depending on what's most convenient for you.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.