Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been a lurker for a while so here goes for my first thread: I was just wondering why choose to do an Intercalated BSc (in those unis where you get a choice) and also what were people's motivation in the iBSc you did choose to do?

ReputationRep:
    - Good opportunity to take a break from medicine (if you need it)
    - Want to develop an interest in a particular subject/field
    - Take part in some form of research. Opportunities to get paper(s) published, present at conferences etc.
    - Can explore a new university and city for a year, if applying externally
    - An additional degree can get you an extra 3-4 points on the academic section of your foundation application

I think the most important thing is that you must actually want to do a BSc in the first place. Don't force yourself because it's still a pretty taxing year (technically a 3-year course compressed into 1), so you'll definitely want to be motivated for it in order to do well.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everything Isometrix said :yep:

I chose my BSc (Biomedical engineering) because it wasn't medicine - all the physiology/ cell science/ pharmacology type things on offer would have bored me to tears whereas instead I got to spend a year doing something pretty new to me. It definitely felt more like a year off because of that difference, some of my enthusiasm for medicine had returned by the end of that year away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Pretty much everything Isometrix said :yep:

I chose my BSc (Biomedical engineering) because it wasn't medicine - all the physiology/ cell science/ pharmacology type things on offer would have bored me to tears whereas instead I got to spend a year doing something pretty new to me. It definitely felt more like a year off because of that difference, some of my enthusiasm for medicine had returned by the end of that year away.
    Is it possible for a BSC student to undergo research and get published in scientific journals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Is it possible for a BSC student to undergo research and get published in scientific journals?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack, but is it possible to intercalate OUTSIDE of your university? Like say im in Birmingham, would they accept me doing a masters in LSE in say international health and then coming back and finishing my medical degree?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, it's not a case of being pedantic about applicants in here, but it's the equivalent of having school kids ask you sixth formers about A levels incessantly when you're in the sixth form common room. Most of the medics are very happy to answer questions like this if you post them in the main Medicine forum, which then benefits all the other applicants who might want to know the answer cos they can read it easily. You can post in here come September.

(Original post by kinglynx)
    Sorry to hijack, but is it possible to intercalate OUTSIDE of your university? Like say im in Birmingham, would they accept me doing a masters in LSE in say international health and then coming back and finishing my medical degree?
    Provided that 1) you were eligible to intercalate at Birmingham, 2) you had permission from Birmingham, 3) LSE were taking external intercalating students and 4) they accepted your application, then yes.

Can we stick to the OP topic now please?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, it's not a case of being pedantic about applicants in here, but it's the equivalent of having school kids ask you sixth formers about A levels incessantly when you're in the sixth form common room. Most of the medics are very happy to answer questions like this if you post them in the main Medicine forum, which then benefits all the other applicants who might want to know the answer cos they can read it easily. You can post in here come September.

Provided that 1) you were eligible to intercalate at Birmingham, 2) you had permission from Birmingham, 3) LSE were taking external intercalating students and 4) they accepted your application, then yes.

Can we stick to the OP topic now please?
    What i meant was, would Birmingham GIVE permission in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    I believe they allow external intercalation, yes, but whether you personally would be allowed would depend on whatever criteria they're using - my uni did it based on our year ranking.

ReputationRep:
    I intercalated somewhere different. Mine has no direction correlation to a medical specialty but it has been useful in wasy. gives me something to talk about and I learned lots of skills. Couldn't have done one in just anything though, they're not an easy ride so you need to enjoy what you're studying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm intercalating somewhere other than B'ham this year and there's a B'ham student intercalating here. They do let their students intercalate externally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I'm intercalating somewhere other than B'ham this year and there's a B'ham student intercalating here. They do let their students intercalate externally.
    Oooo thats awesome! can i ask what your intercalating in and why? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oooo thats awesome! can i ask what your intercalating in and why? Thanks!
    Medical sciences. The course looked interesting and the project seemed good. I have been proven right on both counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Medical sciences. The course looked interesting and the project seemed good. I have been proven right on both counts.
    What's your project on?

ReputationRep:
    What's your project on?
    I've been looking at regulatory T cells in a murine type 1 diabetes model.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.