Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I get how to do the process but I just can't seem to understand why some have finite answers and some are undefined. Can anyone help?

E.g. why does the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-2 have an answer but the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-1/2 not?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lunu)
    I get how to do the process but I just can't seem to understand why some have finite answers and some are undefined. Can anyone help?

E.g. why does the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-2 have an answer but the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-1/2 not?
    \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{x^2} \ dx = -\dfrac{1}{x} + C

So, ignoring the +C, you evaluate between "infinity" and 1 by using the limit as x tends to infinity.

\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \ dx = 2\sqrt{x} + C

doesn't converge when evaluated between 1 and "infinity" (root x doesn't have a limit as x gets massive).

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)

It is a matter of convergence - they all have answers, (per se) its just that as the upper limit tends to infinity some integrals converge, others do not.
    It also depends on what restrictions you place on the domain as to whether the integral converges.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still really confused. Sorry I'm awful at FP1. :/

ReputationRep:
    The answer to the first one is -1/n +1
    The answer to the second is 2sqrtx -2

The first one has an answer of 1 and the second one doesn't have an answer. Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    I get on the first one that dividing by infinity make the answer really small so tends towards zero but I don't get the second one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    I get on the first one that dividing by infinity make the answer really small so tends towards zero but I don't get the second one
    Consider the square root of a massive number. Say: 10000000000000000000000000000000 000000.
    What can you tell me about its square root.
    If I were to make this number bigger, what would happen to its square root - then what if it were infinite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    I'm still really confused. Sorry I'm awful at FP1. :/

\displaystyle\int_{1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{x^{2}} dx = \left[-\dfrac{1}{x}\right]_{1}^{\infty}

Now obviously as x becomes very large, \frac{1}{x} becomes very small. You could think about it as

\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left[-\dfrac{1}{x}\right]_{1}^{a}= \displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left(-\dfrac{1}{a} - - \dfrac{1}{1}\right)

and that

\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \dfrac{1}{a} \to 0

Thus it effectively becomes \left(0 - - \dfrac{1}{1}\right) = 1

Now think about the other integral

\displaystyle\int_{1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}} dx = \left[2\sqrt{x} \right]_{1}^{\infty}

Again, think about it as

\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left[2\sqrt{x} \right]_{1}^{a}

= \displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left(2 \sqrt{a} - 2 \sqrt{1} \right)

But

\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} 2 \sqrt{a} doesn't converge, hence the integral can't be evaluated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Consider the square root of a massive number. Say: 10000000000000000000000000000000 000000.
    What can you tell me about its square root.
    If I were to make this number bigger, what would happen to its square root - then what if it were infinite?
    The square root is very small? It converges to a fixed number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    The square root is very small? It converges to a fixed number?
    No it doesn't. Why would it? If the square root function was bounded you can just go 1 above the bound and square that numer to get a contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    No it doesn't. Why would it? If the square root function was bounded you can just go 1 above the bound and square that numer to get a contradiction.
    what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    The point is as x becomes very large \sqrt{x} doesn't converge to a limit.

ReputationRep:
    so what happens to it?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lunu)

As far as further maths is concerned, you just have to evaluate the integral as a function of x and then see what happens as x gets larger and larger.

You have the same situation with infinite sums - for example adding up all the numbers of the form 1/n (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 etc) gives you a number that just gets bigger and bigger and doesn't tend to a limit, but if you add up the reciprocals of the square numbers (1/1, 1/4, 1/9 etc) then you do get a finite value.

An integral is just like a great big wibbly-wobbly sum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey sum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    As far as further maths is concerned, you just have to evaluate the integral as a function of x and then see what happens as x gets larger and larger.

You have the same situation with infinite sums - for example adding up all the numbers of the form 1/n (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 etc) gives you a number that just gets bigger and bigger and doesn't tend to a limit, but if you add up the reciprocals of the square numbers (1/1, 1/4, 1/9 etc) then you do get a finite value.

So it's similar to the series stuff in core 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    Basically, as x gets very large, sqrt(x) also get very large so it will not converge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunu)
    so what happens to it?
    It continues to get infinitely large - think about the graph y = \sqrt{x} it just increases and tends to infinity as x approaches infinity
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lunu)
    So it's similar to the series stuff in core 2?
    sort of.

If you've done geometric series then you know that the ratio of terms determines whether or not the infinite sum makes sense.

If you've done the infinite binomial series then you know that it only converges for certain values.

Integrals are basically a generalization of a big sum - imagine working out the area under a curve by approximating it with loads and loads of rectangles, then increasing the number of rectangles to infinity while their width gets smaller and smaller. Sometimes this sum will converge, sometimes it won't.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Basically, as x gets very large, sqrt(x) also get very large so it will not converge.
    I think I understand now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.