Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else adore the Philosophy side of RS, but loathe Ethics? It gets in the way so much, ew Ethics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I cannot stand Ethics!!! I just revised the whole of Ultiltarianism today! the bloody Hedonic Calculus!! But it's way easier though! I do like Ethical War though. I found the Just War Theory good!

How are you gonna revise for Philosophy, cause I have no idea how im gonna revise it! All i've done for Utilitarianism is flash cards really, but something is telling me they won't be enough for Philosophy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing ethics, utilitarianism etc, in Religious Studies. HATE it.

ReputationRep:
    Its my ethics teacher I hate the most, start of the year she gave us a sheet on short note taking. She then gave us enough sheets to fill my bag by itself.
    On a related note, anyone got any ethics/ philosophy notes they wouldn't mind sharing please?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've been revising Utilitarianism today, sooo boring haha.

My philosophy teacher is basically God, i'll get a photo on later of one of the mindmaps we've done. They're perfect and condense everything.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20130404122537822.bmp
Views: 166
Size:  225.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if that link worked?
    I know it's not very clear but basically, say you have the Cosmological Argument (i assume you're doing the Arguments?), you put 'intro' coming off the top and it will say; a posteriori > uses empirical evidence, universe > cosmos. Then you do another arrow off the middle (''The CA'' obviously) linking to Aquinas, then from Aquinas you do; First Way > motion > change> potential and actual> eg a fire needs something hot to make it hot > not infinite > Prime Mover/Unmoved Mover > Aristotle influence > pure actuality.
    Then the Second Way; cause > pure actuality > not infinite > domino rally example > external & efficient cause > continues to sustain and be present. Then the Third Way; contingency and necessity > contingent universe must have necessary first cause > depends on itself/relies on nothing > Aquinas believed in a timeless God > unaffected by the universe (immutable.

Sorry that looks so confusing but i just mean do it in branches, after that (about 5 o'clock on the mindmap) is Leibniz and the principle of sufficient reason, then the next branch is the radio debate between Russell and Copleston, then the next branch is criticisms eg Hume and modern science, then finally support, eg Polkinghorne and Anscombe.

I hope you can follow some of that haha

ReputationRep:
    Btw good sites to look at include rsrevision.com and tutor2u. Also philosophicalinvestigations but we've had trouble trying to download the ppts

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious, can someone outline the key differences between 'ethics' and general philosophy?

I thought ethics is a topic within philosophical studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    I'm curious, can someone outline the key differences between 'ethics' and general philosophy?

I thought ethics is a topic within philosophical studies
    Moral philosophy (i.e. ethics) is certainly a branch of philosophy, but I suppose ethics is focused solely around the practicality of wisdom on a daily basis as opposed to the more abstract ideas surrounding God etc.

It makes sense that someone can prefer one area as opposed to another in the same way that someone can prefer one argument to another.

Personally though, I'm basically a binary opposite to OP, not that I hate philosophy, but rather that I absolutely love ethics - way more enjoyable

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.