Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My name is Sophie and I am 19 years of age. I am considering a career change and trying to do as much research as possible to help me get into university to study midwifery.
    All of my life I have loved helping people, and was very sporty, so I decided to do sports science at college and achieved a triple distinction (3 A's at A-Level). Whilst in college I applied for 5 uni's on similar sports coaching courses, and got accepted at all. I decidied to defer my entry as take a gap year for which I work at an outdoor education centre in North Wales as am a huge outdoor enthusiastic. From there I realised that the outdoor industry didn't want degrees it wanted recognised qualifications in particular diciplines, sos I decided not to go to university. I managed to secure a job in hong kong doing outdoor instruction with my partner however he had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccines, so we decided not to go. We are both very ambitious people and unfortunately have been in and out of work since last August. I have decided that my urge to helping people and my wanting to work closely with children, would be perfectly put to use in a midwife career. I have 5 brothers and sisters so just love babies, and am particularly interested in helping bring new life into the world.
    I am wanting to apply for university, but not sure whether my qualification (sports science) would give me a good chance or would be completeing a foundation course in health and social care or biology first would give me a better chance. Also looking to do some voluntary work with babies/mums/maternity and would be very appreciate of anybody who is able to offer there support and advice.

Thanks a lot guys!

ReputationRep:
    I think that qualification would be enough but you should check by emailing admissions tutors at unis you would like to go to.

For a vocational course like midwifery having work experience is pretty much mandatory for most unis so try get at least a day or two of shadowing in a hospital. It's not how much you've done but the quality of the experience you have and what you have learnt.

You seem to be very enthusiastic though so go for it I'm sure your BTEC would be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to add that as a midwife you have more contact with parents-to-be than with children. If you want to work with kids, have you considered child nursing?

It is probably worth contacting unis directly; however I reckon some will accept your qualification. If not, you could try an access course?

You will almost definitely require some work experience. It doesn't have to be hospital based or anything, just anywhere where you are caring for someone

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sophie! First of all I would look into the role of the midwife before really deciding what you want to go in for. By the sounds of it you would be more suited to pediatric nursing if you are wanting to work closely with children in a health care environment. Midwifery is very competitive and to be offered a place on the course you would really have to know the ins and outs of being a midwife. Good luck with whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree with the others midwifery is all about the mother the babies are just a bonus x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm kind of in the same boat as you-from leaving school I've gone down the route of business, and secured a place to start a uni this September to study business-but I don't want to study that anymore-i want to do midwifery! I've called a few universities up and it sounds like they want some previous qualifications to be health related, and I've also been recommended to do an access course. I'm now looking at more broad courses-for example the health and social care degree at university of bolton -as the UCAS points requirement is quite low and I might just be able to blag it. But from my research I've found that midwifery isn't popular in clearing at all, and even if it was, they would want people who exceeded their predicted grades including some form of health related course. My advice would either to broaden your aspects and research other courses, like the one I mentioner above OR take your time from now to get a volunteering place at a local midwifery unit and study a relevant level 3 course (this is dependant on age though, if you are 16-19 you'll have no problem getting into college to study a health BTEC or A levels, but if you are over 19, you may need to look into access courses or something similar. Sorry if I've blabbed on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say pop to an open day for children's nursing, social work and midwifery. I went with a friend to a midwifery open day and they really do emphasise that midwifery focuses on pregnancy, the mother and birth with a small proportion of study about babies themselves once they are born. Health visitors and children's nurses tend to take over after the baby is 6 weeks old.

Children's nursing and social work all have focus on helping families and children but are very different!

I aspire to be a children's cognitive behaviour therapist so I am off to study psychology with sociology first!

Hope that's of some help

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.