Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was hoping to speak to someone who could help. I am considering going to university to study Mental Health Nursing but I am unsure if it is right for me. I am 24 and have been working as a support worker for the last 3 1/2 years and have a real interest in Mental Health.

My problem is that I don't feel really, really passionate about physical health and biology, I am more interested in the way the mind works and mental ill health. I would like to know how involved Mental Health Nurses are in the psychological aspects of their patients, whether they are involved in therapy and counselling, and how much of their study is on this subject.

If someone could enlighten me I would be so grateful! Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    [Sorry, accidentally posted twice, I'm new to forums!]

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to do a bit of anatomy and physiology and some aspects of physical care, but it hasn't been much (around 20 hours of lectures). It depends on the course as it varies between universities but you're placement will be mental health and a lot of the course (especially in second and third year) will be mental health too.

I wouldn't let it putn you off studying the subject, it's just a means to an end and tbh I've found the biological stuff extremely helpful on placement.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Soph.Jade,

I am currently working on my presentation for my interview on the 2nd of May, I have applied to do the Graduate Entry Nursing course at The University of Nottingham.

I have to make my presentation on the following topic

“The transferable knowledge and skills that I have developed through prior learning and experience, and how these can be applied to nursing in my chosen field of study”

This I feel I could talk about till I am blue in the face, but its what the presentation should demonstrate I am struggling to integrate into what i have to say on the topic.

I need to demonstrate.

- Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing.

- Critical evaluation (this i can do if I understand exactly what I need to include in relation to the above criteria)

- Reflective learning (this I can do)

- Good communication and presentation style (this I can do)

- Accurate referencing (this I can do)

Any thoughts?

Does the criteria 'Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing' perhaps refer to theoretical knowledge outside the profession of nursing, for instance theories etc that I learned when studying for my Psychology degree? Or is it more about theories about nursing practice and models and concepts researched within nursing. Once I have some clarity I should be able to storm ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benja2013)
    Hi Soph.Jade,

I am currently working on my presentation for my interview on the 2nd of May, I have applied to do the Graduate Entry Nursing course at The University of Nottingham.

I have to make my presentation on the following topic

“The transferable knowledge and skills that I have developed through prior learning and experience, and how these can be applied to nursing in my chosen field of study”

This I feel I could talk about till I am blue in the face, but its what the presentation should demonstrate I am struggling to integrate into what i have to say on the topic.

I need to demonstrate.

- Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing.

- Critical evaluation (this i can do if I understand exactly what I need to include in relation to the above criteria)

- Reflective learning (this I can do)

- Good communication and presentation style (this I can do)

- Accurate referencing (this I can do)

Any thoughts?

Does the criteria 'Application of theoretical knowledge to nursing' perhaps refer to theoretical knowledge outside the profession of nursing, for instance theories etc that I learned when studying for my Psychology degree? Or is it more about theories about nursing practice and models and concepts researched within nursing. Once I have some clarity I should be able to storm ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
    I'd be inclined to think its about using theoretical knowledge you gain in the degree (like epidemiology and public health) and how you would actually apply it to nursing but I'd ring the uni and ask them to clarify (it show you know you're capabilities and you're not scared to ask - which is definitely a good quality)
    Best of luck with your presentation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    You'll have to do a bit of anatomy and physiology and some aspects of physical care, but it hasn't been much (around 20 hours of lectures). It depends on the course as it varies between universities but you're placement will be mental health and a lot of the course (especially in second and third year) will be mental health too.

I wouldn't let it putn you off studying the subject, it's just a means to an end and tbh I've found the biological stuff extremely helpful on placement.
    Wow thanks Soph.Jade, I've realised from looking at your profile that you're studying at Cardiff, which is where I live and hope to study! ...So I guess your advice is really relevant to me, I feel very hopeful! And yes, I imagine the biological side of things is interesting when you have a client with the physical issues you're learning about, which I've found before in support work.
    I'd really like to pick your brains as I've never really spoken to a Mental Health Nurse before, can I PM you?? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jas_)
    Wow thanks Soph.Jade, I've realised from looking at your profile that you're studying at Cardiff, which is where I live and hope to study! ...So I guess your advice is really relevant to me, I feel very hopeful! And yes, I imagine the biological side of things is interesting when you have a client with the physical issues you're learning about, which I've found before in support work.
    I'd really like to pick your brains as I've never really spoken to a Mental Health Nurse before, can I PM you?? x
    Of course! always happy to help out a future Cardiff nurse it's also interesting with things like anxiety disorders as there are a lot of physical symptoms that can be connected to anxiety.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.