Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

There are probably many other threads for this but I couldn't seem to find one very quickly (being new to this site)...

...so is anyone else starting a PhD in Sheffield this year? Just accepted an offer in the Animal and Plant Sciences Department and will probably see Geographers a fair bit - but it'd be great to chat to anyone else signing away the next three or four years!

It'd also be good to know where most other PhD students will be looking for accommodation... being with other postgrads is definitely desirable, but so is not being abandoned after a year!

Cheers,
    Cat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat250)
    Hi All,

There are probably many other threads for this but I couldn't seem to find one very quickly (being new to this site)...

...so is anyone else starting a PhD in Sheffield this year? Just accepted an offer in the Animal and Plant Sciences Department and will probably see Geographers a fair bit - but it'd be great to chat to anyone else signing away the next three or four years!

It'd also be good to know where most other PhD students will be looking for accommodation... being with other postgrads is definitely desirable, but so is not being abandoned after a year!

Cheers,
    Cat
    Hi,

I'm a final year APS student at Sheffield, and I know quite a few of the PhD students, and a couple of undergrads who are starting PhDs here next year (I don't know of any on this site unfortunately). It seems like it would be a very friendly and relaxing (as much as that's possible!) place to do a PhD.

I think PhD students either live in the nicer private student houses around Broomhill and Crookes, or the cheaper 'professional' apartments, although, I'm not too sure.

Who's your supervisor if you don't mind saying (or what topic at least)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tpx,

It's good to hear you get that impression (especially considering how one of my own PhD friends has half-seriously tried to warn me off doing one because of the stress!) - I'm assuming you're a final year undergrad? What are the undergrads you know doing?

I've heard a few people say that PhD students tend to live in private accommodation - often because they've done a previous degree at Sheffield so know the city - but I'm not sure whether it'd be better to do the same or stay in uni-owned accommodation for the first year for simplicity's sake.

My supervisors are Philip Warren and Lorraine Maltby and the project is based on the Million Ponds Project run by Pond Conservation - essentially habitat creation, biodiversity and ecosystem services

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. I don't know any of the current PhD students in that area, or much about the research. You've probably spoken to Dr Warren at least as much as I have; he is ridiculously friendly! The two undergrads that I know of are doing evolutionary biology in Drosophila and developmental biology in wheat, so not too similar at all.

You might be right about uni-owned accommodation. Much of the private acc. aimed at students would have been taken by now. Flats that aren't particularly aimed at students might still be available though, but I guess that going for uni acc. would be a safer bet. I spent my 2nd year in Ranmoor in a block of returning students and postgrads, and it was definitely fairly quiet and peaceful: we didn't even have any first years knocking looking for friends during freshers. You would probably want to move into private accommodation after a year, because uni accommodation gets more expensive every year, and isn't particularly good value anymore.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.