Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

DBT? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever had DBT? Dialectical Behavioural Therapy?

What was it like?

What did you have it for?

Would you ever have it again?

Would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Have you ever had DBT? Dialectical Behavioural Therapy?

What was it like?

What did you have it for?

Would you ever have it again?

Would you recommend it?
    Hi, I am in DBT at the minute, so I should be able to answer your questions!

Its a pretty intense therapy. You have weekly group therapy and then weekly one to one sessions with your therapist. You can call your therapist any time within working hours for extra support. You have to keep a diary, where you record what skills you have used, any harmful behaviours (e.g. Mine are drinking, self harm and reckless driving), any urges to commit suicide or SH, and then also rating your emotions. DBT is all about learning skills in 4 areas - distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, emotional regulation and mindfulness. You learn the skills in group, and then talk over it with your therapist in your one to one time.

I got DBT for Emotionally Unstable (borderline) personality disorder. The main aim is to reduce my harming behaviours. I would definitely have it again, the skills are very useful and can help you gain more control over your life. I would recommend it, its a new and interesting therapy with good results.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Hi, I am in DBT at the minute, so I should be able to answer your questions!

Its a pretty intense therapy. You have weekly group therapy and then weekly one to one sessions with your therapist. You can call your therapist any time within working hours for extra support. You have to keep a diary, where you record what skills you have used, any harmful behaviours (e.g. Mine are drinking, self harm and reckless driving), any urges to commit suicide or SH, and then also rating your emotions. DBT is all about learning skills in 4 areas - distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, emotional regulation and mindfulness. You learn the skills in group, and then talk over it with your therapist in your one to one time.

I got DBT for Emotionally Unstable (borderline) personality disorder. The main aim is to reduce my harming behaviours. I would definitely have it again, the skills are very useful and can help you gain more control over your life. I would recommend it, its a new and interesting therapy with good results.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask
    Is it possible if you could expand on these skills?

Also how did you get into the therapy? Did you self-refer or did your GP refer you?

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible if you could expand on these skills?

Also how did you get into the therapy? Did you self-refer or did your GP refer you?
    Sure. Distress tolerance is all about coping in a crisis - survival skills really for when you are so distressed you can't function and are likely to use damaging coping strategies. It includes distraction, and things you can use to help you feel better in the moment.

Emotional Regulation is about trying to keep your mood stable (which is a real problem in BPD). It's mainly about things you can do everyday to keep your mood okay (exercise, healthy eating etc), and about building positive experiences.

Interpersonal effectiveness is about keeping your relationships healthy. It's about being able to be assertive and get what you want without ruining things or being manipulative. Mindfulness is about being there in the moment and there are lots of exercises for this (its a bit like meditation) - really, it's what underpins the whole DBT programme.

I got referred by a social worker and my psychiatrist. Where I am it's only available in secondary services (CMHT etc) so you have to be with a CMHT and have a care coordinator. Have you been referred yet?

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Distress tolerance is all about coping in a crisis - survival skills really for when you are so distressed you can't function and are likely to use damaging coping strategies. It includes distraction, and things you can use to help you feel better in the moment.

Emotional Regulation is about trying to keep your mood stable (which is a real problem in BPD). It's mainly about things you can do everyday to keep your mood okay (exercise, healthy eating etc), and about building positive experiences.

Interpersonal effectiveness is about keeping your relationships healthy. It's about being able to be assertive and get what you want without ruining things or being manipulative. Mindfulness is about being there in the moment and there are lots of exercises for this (its a bit like meditation) - really, it's what underpins the whole DBT programme.

I got referred by a social worker and my psychiatrist. Where I am it's only available in secondary services (CMHT etc) so you have to be with a CMHT and have a care coordinator. Have you been referred yet?
    Thanks! That makes sense.

No I haven't been referred for DBT. I've been referrred for CBT in the past but I couldn't start the session as I was moving cities so I plan to self-refer or refer again. I had heard about DBT and I was wondering if they were similar.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That makes sense.

No I haven't been referred for DBT. I've been referrred for CBT in the past but I couldn't start the session as I was moving cities so I plan to self-refer or refer again. I had heard about DBT and I was wondering if they were similar.
    DBT has elements of CBT in it, but it also has a lot more to it. DBT is more intense in my opinion - around 1 year to 2 years long, and more sessions a week.

ReputationRep:
    DBT has elements of CBT in it, but it also has a lot more to it. DBT is more intense in my opinion - around 1 year to 2 years long, and more sessions a week.

Oh wow I didn't know it was that long! But I think that is good, I believe that the more intense and the longer it is, the better you will be. Though I wouldn't want to spend decades in therapy.

Have you ever had CBT? It's been recommended to me.

By the way, since having DBT, how has your life changed compared to before you had DBT?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I didn't know it was that long! But I think that is good, I believe that the more intense and the longer it is, the better you will be. Though I wouldn't want to spend decades in therapy.

Have you ever had CBT? It's been recommended to me.

By the way, since having DBT, how has your life changed compared to before you had DBT?
    Yeah I've had CBT in the past, personally, I didn't find it that useful - but a lot of people do very well with it.

Well ATM I am noticing that I am generally more stable. I haven't been in it that long to see many more benefits.

ReputationRep:
    It does vary between different places/groups and whatnot. I go to a group session which is an hour a week.

I'm going to DBT primarily because I have BPD. I find the group to be incredibly calming, comforting, supporting and inspiring. I've dealt with things a hundred times better since joining that group.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.