Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to work with computers after university as I have such a passion in consumer computing However I don't know what area is best for me. I am doing Maths, Physics and Electronics to a high standard and will be going to university next year. Should I apply for a computer science course, software development / engineering course or an electronic engineering course ? I have more experience in hardware (electronic and physics have a lot of hardware involved) than I do software but I still enjoy doing both. In your experience and to your knowledge are there more jobs in hardware or software ? Both sectors seem to have an exciting future, but i want to go into consumer computing specifically. So which, hardware or software, do you think is best for me and why ?
    Kind regards,
    Jake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeEToth)
    I want to work with computers after university as I have such a passion in consumer computing However I don't know what area is best for me. I am doing Maths, Physics and Electronics to a high standard and will be going to university next year. Should I apply for a computer science course, software development / engineering course or an electronic engineering course ? I have more experience in hardware (electronic and physics have a lot of hardware involved) than I do software but I still enjoy doing both. In your experience and to your knowledge are there more jobs in hardware or software ? Both sectors seem to have an exciting future, but i want to go into consumer computing specifically. So which, hardware or software, do you think is best for me and why ?
    Kind regards,
    Jake.
    Computer Science is good course to start if you want to get into programming, Computing is studying IT in general and is study more stuff like database, network, programming and hardware and gives you more options to choose if you haven't made up your mind.

Software Engineering would be right choice but ring the IT admissions for universities and ask them what would be the right course, there know more about it. There too many subjects that I can't be naive and give you wrong advice. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what area is best for you, I suggest looking for a degree that will give you exposure to different areas of computing.

(Original post by Vibenation)
    Computer Science is good course to start if you want to get into programming, Computing is studying IT in general and is study more stuff like database, network, programming and hardware and gives you more options to choose if you haven't made up your mind.

Software Engineering would be right choice but ring the IT admissions for universities and ask them what would be the right course, there know more about it. There too many subjects that I can't be naive and give you wrong advice. Good luck.
    I study Computer Science and I agree, it is good if you want to get into programming. However programming is only one part to it, most CS courses cover a much broader range of computing aspects, including Hardware, Databases, Networking, Computer Security, IT Consultancy, etc.

I'm going into my final year of study and have been able to select all of my modules this year. So Computer Science is a great choice to experiment with different aspects of computing and allow you to decide which area(s) you would like to pursue further.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at http://www.brunel.ac.uk/courses/unde...gineering-beng or similar courses in better universities.

It's a combination of Hardware + Software.

I have been working as a Software Developer in London since graduating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.