Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi there,

My name is Sophie and I am 19 years of age. I am considering a career change and trying to do as much research as possible to help me get into university to study midwifery.
    All of my life I have loved helping people, and was very sporty, so I decided to do sports science at college and achieved a triple distinction (3 A's at A-Level). Whilst in college I applied for 5 uni's on similar sports coaching courses, and got accepted at all. I decidied to defer my entry as take a gap year for which I work at an outdoor education centre in North Wales as am a huge outdoor enthusiastic. From there I realised that the outdoor industry didn't want degrees it wanted recognised qualifications in particular diciplines, sos I decided not to go to university. I managed to secure a job in hong kong doing outdoor instruction with my partner however he had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccines, so we decided not to go. We are both very ambitious people and unfortunately have been in and out of work since last August. I have decided that my urge to helping people and my wanting to work closely with children, would be perfectly put to use in a midwife career. I have 5 brothers and sisters so just love babies, and am particularly interested in helping bring new life into the world.
    I am wanting to apply for university, but not sure whether my qualification (sports science) would give me a good chance or would be completeing a foundation course in health and social care or biology first would give me a better chance. Also looking to do some voluntary work with babies/mums/maternity and would be very appreciate of anybody who is able to offer there support and advice.

Thanks a lot guys!

If you write a personal statement, never say "i love babies" because usually they would shoot you down at that statement apparently

I lecture in Outdoor Education, the environmental side/fieldwork side prefer the degree route, even though they do qualifications that would be more the activity side, the outdoor education courses do give you NGB qualifications, but quicker in the industry, I did all of mine when in the industry.

It won't really help you for midwifery, for child nursing would help though.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.