Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this is a silly question, but I'm never very aware...

I look around when I'm out and everyone I see is wearing skinny jeans, which is great for you if your legs are slim enough for that, but... I wouldn't say my legs were fat exactly, but I simply cannot fit into skinny jeans. And I don't really know what the fashion is for those of us who can't. In most high-street shops the only non-skinny jeans available are bootcut, but I haven't really seen anyone wearing bootcut in ages so I'm not sure if it's a bit of a fashion no-no? :confused:

This is a particular pair of jeans I'm considering buying from New Look http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/j...eans_266367941 , any opinions would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I think the thing with jeans is that, within reason, whilst a particular cut might be very 'on trend' at a given time there doesn't really tend to be any issue with wearing other cuts. As long as they flatter you and you team them with other pieces (e.g. your top or jumper) that are current and flattering then you can never go too far wrong with a pair of jeans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsherlocked)
    In most high-street shops the only non-skinny jeans available are bootcut...
    that would seem the answer to your question, then. "Most high street shops" wouldn't be selling them if they weren't selling them, if you see what I mean. And shops to a very large extent dictate as much as reflect the trends.

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not.

Jeans at the moment are normally skinny or boyfriend style.
    But if you like bootcut jeans and they think they look good on you then there's no reason not to wear them.
    Be different

ReputationRep:
    Bootcut jeans are walways in fashion, they are a fashion staple where you can build an outfit around them and a decent pair of heels. I'm like you and don't look good in skinny jeans, however much I'd love to. Bootcut balance out hips and lengthen the legs. Also, I used to wear new look jeans for years but have found that dorothy perkins bootcuts are really nice fitting, they look good etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys

ReputationRep:
    Simply - they are not in fashion.

(Original post by Emmabob)
    Bootcut jeans are walways in fashion, they are a fashion staple where you can build an outfit around them and a decent pair of heels. I'm like you and don't look good in skinny jeans, however much I'd love to. Bootcut balance out hips and lengthen the legs. Also, I used to wear new look jeans for years but have found that dorothy perkins bootcuts are really nice fitting, they look good etc.
    Just because you personally like something, it doesn't mean it's in fashion.

If I said that cargo shorts and band tees were in fashion for guys just because I liked them I would be talking out of my ass and I would also be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No, they are not. Jeans styles tend to be in fashion for years on end, and at the moment skinny jeans are in and have been for over 5 years. Before that, bootcut was in but you'll see hardly anyone in them now, especially young people. If you like them you should get them anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, cos it's so hard to find bootcut jeans. NOT. Even supermarkets do them because they are a classic style and therefore always in fashion. Fashion isn't just dictated by what 'young people' wear. Sinny jeans are, more typically in fashion, but people recognise that not everyone suits skinny jeans and therefore they have other choices which always sell well, otherwise they wouldn't do them anymore - like many other types of jeans there have been.

Yeah you would be talking out of your ass, just like you are here. It is not just because I personally like them; it's because they are still being sold, can still be found in shops and are a fashion staple like I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmabob)
    Yeah, cos it's so hard to find bootcut jeans. NOT. Even supermarkets do them because they are a classic style and therefore always in fashion. Fashion isn't just dictated by what 'young people' wear. Sinny jeans are, more typically in fashion, but people recognise that not everyone suits skinny jeans and therefore they have other choices which always sell well, otherwise they wouldn't do them anymore - like many other types of jeans there have been.

Yeah you would be talking out of your ass, just like you are here. It is not just because I personally like them; it's because they are still being sold, can still be found in shops and are a fashion staple like I said.
    As much as you rant about it, they're not in fashion and haven't been for a long time.

Oh and yeah, supermarkets are renowned for how fashionable they are LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    No, they are not. Jeans styles tend to be in fashion for years on end, and at the moment skinny jeans are in and have been for over 5 years. Before that, bootcut was in but you'll see hardly anyone in them now, especially young people. If you like them you should get them anyway though.
    So what style of jeans IS in fashion for people who can't wear skinny jeans? :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware I was ranting, I thought I was putting forward a reasoned argument which is obviously going over people's heads. Also, design is filtering down into supermarkets. Gok Wan designs a range for sainsbury's even. Buying clothes in a supermarket doesn't mean what you are implying, that they are unfasionable etc. It means you can get clothes for cheaper that actually can be good. They can be better value than Primark.
    The fact that supermarkets stock bootcut jeans just shows that bootcut jeans are popular, people do buy them since they only stock items of clothing that they think will be popular or in fashion.

So what style of jeans IS in fashion for people who can't wear skinny jeans? :banghead:
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this is a silly question, but I'm never very aware...

I look around when I'm out and everyone I see is wearing skinny jeans, which is great for you if your legs are slim enough for that, but... I wouldn't say my legs were fat exactly, but I simply cannot fit into skinny jeans. And I don't really know what the fashion is for those of us who can't. In most high-street shops the only non-skinny jeans available are bootcut, but I haven't really seen anyone wearing bootcut in ages so I'm not sure if it's a bit of a fashion no-no? :confused:

This is a particular pair of jeans I'm considering buying from New Look http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/j...eans_266367941 , any opinions would be appreciated
    Hi OP. Bootcut jeans can be very flattering, when worn fashionably. Here are a few examples.

Name:  hayden-panettiere-bootcut+jeans.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  54.2 KBName:  jessica+alba+bootcut.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  95.7 KBName:  jessica+alba+bootcut+3.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  83.5 KBName:  zoe-saldana.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  60.4 KBName:  olivia+palermo+flare.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  56.1 KBName:  eva-longoria+bootcut.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  61.8 KB

The trick is to wear them with heels, such as wedges or boots that have a chunky heel. The heel elongates the leg and gives the illusion of a slimmer silhouette.
    From what i've seen, forever 21 and dorothy perkins have some lovely bootcuts that are affordable and flattering. Make sure you go for the ones that have more of a flare at the bottom, since they need to sit over the heels slightly.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the thing with jeans..

there are so many bloody types i don't know what ones to choose.

What is difference between some types? It's hard to tell...

Bootcut's seem to look like flairs.. :/...

just searched boyfriend jeans.. they look alright

ReputationRep:
    I think they're coming back in. You'll be ahead of the curve!

Personally I don't like the way they flare out at the bottom so tend to go for straight leg or slim fit jeans, there's also boy-fit jeans but I think my legs are big enough without wearing jeans that are baggy.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think 'boot-cut' jeans are in; the reason why the shops will sell them is because they want to appeal to different body shapes and older people. Some of the older generation are not always comfortable with the skinny jeans due to their tightness. I find a lot of older people will wear the boot-cut as will bigger women but it is by no means 'in fashion'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I must be the exception then - I'm 18, male, and I like wearing bootcut jeans

Mostly, because I'm overweight and I've got awfully fat thighs; so I don't have the figure for skinny jeans. I've tried skinny jeans, and unless you like your legs crippled by them (even for skinny people) I hate them.

Cuff or bootcut for me

ReputationRep:
    Simply, no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.