Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What did you do in between school and sixth form/ collage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE exams finish midway through June, but I don't start sixth form until the September, that is a long time to have nothing to do. I won't be 16 until the August so I won't be able to get a job until I am at sixth form. What could I do in that time or what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Lie in bed all day and eat biscuits
    Go on holiday with your mates
    Go to theme parks
    Get some work experience
    Get a job
    Volunteer
    Go on a summer camp
    Go on the Challenge

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend doing some voluntary work experience at somewhere that is likely to be able to provide you a job once you are 16, so try and make a good impression!

There are also various summer schools run by colleges/universities, if you do a google search you might find some. But mainly, just enjoy yourself! Spend plenty of time with your friends, outdoors, go bowling, go to theme parks, go for days out, go to a local festival maybe? Just get yourself out there and do plenty of things you will remember - you can worry about work more next summer!

ReputationRep:
    Went on the challenge !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    Went on the challenge !

Is the challenge good, heard about it at school but I wasn't sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by augustbaby)
    Is the challenge good, heard about it at school but I wasn't sure
    It was absolutely amazing ! There is about 60 random students from various high schools all thrown together , by the end you will be freinds with most if not alll of them.

You stay in a residential for a week , where you do all sorts of crazy and thrilling activities : camping , hiking , abseilling , mountain climbing . All the while you are getting to know your 11 team mates inside out . There are lots of potential friendships / relationships (who knows ! In my "wave" there where about 4 couples afterwards , 2 of which are still going strong !) to be made!

In the 2nd week you stay in a UNIVERSITY CAMPUS! You get your own room , with an ensuite and spend the week doing whatever activity you chose to partake in , some students chose Media and got to work with video cameras and software , some chose Photography and got to work with DLS Cameras (or whatever their called ) . When you come back from doing your activity each afternoon , you are given free time and my wave spent this time doing all sorts of fun things , getting to know eachother it was brill . You have a curfew of 10pm though It was so fun . Ohh and by the way you will share a dorm with four of your team mates , you cook your own dinners and everything ! (With ingredients supplied ofc ).

The third week you create a campaign with your group which you put into action in central london . My group made a campaign about promoting good self body image and had to go out and interact with the public . This week though , your back at home with your family . Me and my team mates would spend the nights going to a nearby comedy club as we all looked 18+

All in all it is a life changing experience , dont miss out !

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE exams finish midway through June, but I don't start sixth form until the September, that is a long time to have nothing to do. I won't be 16 until the August so I won't be able to get a job until I am at sixth form. What could I do in that time or what did you do?
    You will be able to get a job. When you leave school- from the end of june you can work, full time if you wanted, regardless of when your birthday is and if you are 16 yet, as you are of school leaving age.
    So you could try and get a part time job if you wanted.
    Id also recommend looking for some voluntary work. As well as looking good, it will keep you busy, and is a fun thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I did the National Citizen Service

ReputationRep:
    Play loads of football :happy2: and did lots of jobs around the house

ReputationRep:
    Try do some voluntary work until you're 16 (you'll gain some experience)!
    Apart from that, go and have fun !

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem with my birthday being in August and not being able to get a job so I went on National Citizen Service which is very similar to what "the challenge" sounds like...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing

Well, I had some work given to me to do for college and wanting to make a good first impression I did put quite a bit of effort into it but other than that it was just eating, sleeping, drinking, and hanging out with friends. Didn't regret it one bit!

I suppose I got away with not doing work experience and all that stuff as it isn't really needed for my course but I know my college sorted you out with that pretty early on during year 12 once you had started :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing :P it was actually the most boring couple of months in my whole life, but a good chance to relax before the hard work started...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighG)
    I did the National Citizen Service
    What is this? I've heard a lot about it recently but i've not really looked at it much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    What is this? I've heard a lot about it recently but i've not really looked at it much.
    National Citizen Service is for 16-17 year olds in either yr11 or 12. You go away on a 1 week team building course, then spend 1 week at a residential where you will plan your volunteering and, well, the third week I have no idea as they screwed my course up and we didn't have a third week.
    Instead they made us do 30 hours of volunteering on our own instead of a group.
    But don't let that put you off! Google it! It was absolutely fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kgooding)
    National Citizen Service is for 16-17 year olds in either yr11 or 12. You go away on a 1 week team building course, then spend 1 week at a residential where you will plan your volunteering and, well, the third week I have no idea as they screwed my course up and we didn't have a third week.
    Instead they made us do 30 hours of volunteering on our own instead of a group.
    But don't let that put you off! Google it! It was absolutely fantastic!
    Sounds interesting. I'm just too old to go on it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    You do a week of outdoor pursuits, things like canoeing and an expedition with a group of other people your own age. The aim of working as a group, then you do a more local residential helping local groups; we worked with a park, search and rescue and a sea thing. Then you do a week of planning a voluntary activity. I raised money for a local centre for adults with disabilities and also helped to run an anti bullying and discrimination awareness day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.