Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. First of all, sorry for being a massively negative but positivity is getting on my nerves now and I’m sick of trying to be happy.
    Ok the story is, I’ve applied for University for a competitive course, so I can totally understand why I have had a few rejections and I took those 4 rejections and remained hopeful. My last University is taking absolutely ages to get back to me, I called earlier today and apparently the panel still hasn’t made up their mind, again I’m trying to be so positive but it’s so hard when I have nothing to look forward to.

My temp job is bloody awful; I work in finance and do nothing all day long. It pays so well but I am bored all day with minute taking and attending god awful finance meetings. I need to get out of an office, but it’s all I’m trained in so I feel stuck here. The thought of a few more months of temp work was bearable, but now I need to consider that I have a good year and a half of temping in awful offices until I can get anywhere near what I want to do. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this depressed and trapped in what I am doing, nobody really gets how draining this type of job is, I went from doing lots in previous jobs in exciting roles to spending my days feeling useless and upset.

I’ve got little to look forward to, whereas most of my friends seem to be travelling or on great holidays. I’m 23 years old and feel like an old woman, I’d absolutely love to go travelling or experience the world, but would like my boyfriend there, but he won’t leave his permanent job (despite it not being what he wants!).

I guess what I’m asking is, what the hell does someone in this situation do next?! I planned to spend the next year doing another access course to bring up some of my grades, which makes me feel hopeful as I know I can do better with higher grades, but the thought of ****ty office work for another year makes me want to cry. Are there any other roles someone in my position could do? I have some customer service and clinical (hospital) experience, but nobody seems to be hiring temporary roles for those positions. I’ve spoke to my agency, and although they have agreed to look for other work, I’m earning them so much money that I can see why they would want me to stay! Surely I can’t be the only one who feels this lost and upset? Positivity can get lost the way I’m feeling right now!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3sy6...wUNkmF4sLIamzw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatareyoulookingat)
    Hey everyone. First of all, sorry for being a massively negative but positivity is getting on my nerves now and I’m sick of trying to be happy.
    Ok the story is, I’ve applied for University for a competitive course, so I can totally understand why I have had a few rejections and I took those 4 rejections and remained hopeful. My last University is taking absolutely ages to get back to me, I called earlier today and apparently the panel still hasn’t made up their mind, again I’m trying to be so positive but it’s so hard when I have nothing to look forward to.

My temp job is bloody awful; I work in finance and do nothing all day long. It pays so well but I am bored all day with minute taking and attending god awful finance meetings. I need to get out of an office, but it’s all I’m trained in so I feel stuck here. The thought of a few more months of temp work was bearable, but now I need to consider that I have a good year and a half of temping in awful offices until I can get anywhere near what I want to do. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this depressed and trapped in what I am doing, nobody really gets how draining this type of job is, I went from doing lots in previous jobs in exciting roles to spending my days feeling useless and upset.

I’ve got little to look forward to, whereas most of my friends seem to be travelling or on great holidays. I’m 23 years old and feel like an old woman, I’d absolutely love to go travelling or experience the world, but would like my boyfriend there, but he won’t leave his permanent job (despite it not being what he wants!).

I guess what I’m asking is, what the hell does someone in this situation do next?! I planned to spend the next year doing another access course to bring up some of my grades, which makes me feel hopeful as I know I can do better with higher grades, but the thought of ****ty office work for another year makes me want to cry. Are there any other roles someone in my position could do? I have some customer service and clinical (hospital) experience, but nobody seems to be hiring temporary roles for those positions. I’ve spoke to my agency, and although they have agreed to look for other work, I’m earning them so much money that I can see why they would want me to stay! Surely I can’t be the only one who feels this lost and upset? Positivity can get lost the way I’m feeling right now!
    What're your grades, and where are you applying? You say that you're applying for competitive courses, yet you were planning on spending a year doing an access course to bring up your grades?

As a nation most courses are undersubscribed, so if you aimed for lower ranked universities you should be able to study there... are you using UCAS and clearing, or just applying directly?

Also you say you have a well paid job, yet you can't go on great holidays? Isn't that a bit contradictory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    What're your grades, and where are you applying? You say that you're applying for competitive courses, yet you were planning on spending a year doing an access course to bring up your grades?

As a nation most courses are undersubscribed, so if you aimed for lower ranked universities you should be able to study there... are you using UCAS and clearing, or just applying directly?

Also you say you have a well paid job, yet you can't go on great holidays? Isn't that a bit contradictory?
    Hi, thanks for replying, I wrote so quickly that parts of it probably didn't make sense, so sorry about that.

I previously did an access course which was geared up towards a different degree, where I left after one year. My access course is health sciences, and although I got a mix of distinctions and merits my new course will probably prefer more science modules, hence why I may have to redo an access course. This course (diagnostic radiography) is generally more competitive which I didn't realise until after applying for Uni. I applied for Kingston, Southbank, Canterbury, Portsmouth and UWE, I'm still waiting for UWE.

I've used UCAS and clearing, most Universities want very high grades, but redoing the access course doesn't bother me as much as working in office environments.

No I said I wanted my boyfriend to go with me, but he can't. I can go with friends but part of me is jealous of my friends who get to go on exciting adventures, and people keep telling me to stick to boring jobs to gain money. It doesn't even seem worth it....!

I've clearly overreacting, but I'm not the happiest and people who say 'just keep positive' aren't helping, I know they mean to, but it's completely infuriating when your not happy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for replying, I wrote so quickly that parts of it probably didn't make sense, so sorry about that.

I previously did an access course which was geared up towards a different degree, where I left after one year. My access course is health sciences, and although I got a mix of distinctions and merits my new course will probably prefer more science modules, hence why I may have to redo an access course. This course (diagnostic radiography) is generally more competitive which I didn't realise until after applying for Uni. I applied for Kingston, Southbank, Canterbury, Portsmouth and UWE, I'm still waiting for UWE.

I've used UCAS and clearing, most Universities want very high grades, but redoing the access course doesn't bother me as much as working in office environments.

No I said I wanted my boyfriend to go with me, but he can't. I can go with friends but part of me is jealous of my friends who get to go on exciting adventures, and people keep telling me to stick to boring jobs to gain money. It doesn't even seem worth it....!

I've clearly overreacting, but I'm not the happiest and people who say 'just keep positive' aren't helping, I know they mean to, but it's completely infuriating when your not happy.
    Well maybe an epic holiday isn't possible, but can't you grab a week or two abroad with him using both of your annual leaves?

If I was in your situation (though I obviously don't know the full situation) - I'd either find a place through clearing, redo an access course (guessing you don't have A levels?) or study a similar subject instead.

You should probably resign yourself to the fact that, in your current situation, you're not going to be happy and you should pick an avenue of progression and just go for it. Though if, at the end, you're still dissatisfied you'll probably have no choice but to work through it and work for promotions and satisfaction that way

ReputationRep:
    Working in a crap boring job isn't easy. I know as I do one myself currently and the only thing that keeps me at it is. The fact am heading to uni in September and I need as much money as I can make to cover myself this year and get all the things I need to buy. Just keeping trying to be positive, things will work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Well maybe an epic holiday isn't possible, but can't you grab a week or two abroad with him using both of your annual leaves?

If I was in your situation (though I obviously don't know the full situation) - I'd either find a place through clearing, redo an access course (guessing you don't have A levels?) or study a similar subject instead.

You should probably resign yourself to the fact that, in your current situation, you're not going to be happy and you should pick an avenue of progression and just go for it. Though if, at the end, you're still dissatisfied you'll probably have no choice but to work through it and work for promotions and satisfaction that way

Yeah think I'll have to do that with the holidays, to be honest, I was fine with this before, but my unsuccessful applications have understandibly made me feel upset generally.

I think I'll wait to see the outcome, go through extra and if not then try another access course, I'll hold off something different degree wise if I'm unsuccessful for next year, think that will be more of an indication it wont be right for me.

I'll have to pick a different job I think, I like the thought of trying a new avenue like bar work but it's quite hard to get with little experience. Anyway, worth a try. Thanks for your advice, it was helpful and made me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am 22 and I have applied for diagnostic radiography so I can understand your frustration. I had to attend 3 interviews at different ends of the country for the 2 offers I managed to receive in the end. (I put Portsmouth as my firm and UWE as my insurance, you still have a chance with UWE, especially if they are waiting so long to let you know their decision, they are hanging on to you!) have you had any interviews? I only heard back from Portsmouth a few days ago so there are plenty of people still waiting to hear I think. I actually rang portsmouth to ask if they had made a decision and then I heard from them the next day, so maybe you should try that.

Healthcare courses seem to be like this in general, a girl at my college has applied for midwifery which is super competetive and she hasn't heard from any of her unis yet, not even a rejection!

Unfortunately it's a waiting game. But if you want it bad enough as you sound you do, and you did enough preparation for interviews that you may had/have, and saw a lot on your work experience, I will be surprised if you don't get one offer. And even so there's still clearing places available for radiography at a number of unis!

If all turns out for the worst and clearing doesn't work, I would reccommend if you are able to, going back to college to do A levels part-time while working. This is what I did this year at the ripe age of 22 lol, and I sit my final A2 exams in June. There seem to be a lot of people doing access courses for these degrees and I'm not sure as many get taken on as those who do the traditional A levels, so there is bound to be more competition in this route, especially because they prefer mature students in general.

Good luck and most importantly, do stay positive!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah think I'll have to do that with the holidays, to be honest, I was fine with this before, but my unsuccessful applications have understandibly made me feel upset generally.

I think I'll wait to see the outcome, go through extra and if not then try another access course, I'll hold off something different degree wise if I'm unsuccessful for next year, think that will be more of an indication it wont be right for me.

I'll have to pick a different job I think, I like the thought of trying a new avenue like bar work but it's quite hard to get with little experience. Anyway, worth a try. Thanks for your advice, it was helpful and made me feel a lot better
    You're welcome, hope things work out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonomousey)
    Hey, I am 22 and I have applied for diagnostic radiography so I can understand your frustration. I had to attend 3 interviews at different ends of the country for the 2 offers I managed to receive in the end. (I put Portsmouth as my firm and UWE as my insurance, you still have a chance with UWE, especially if they are waiting so long to let you know their decision, they are hanging on to you!) have you had any interviews? I only heard back from Portsmouth a few days ago so there are plenty of people still waiting to hear I think. I actually rang portsmouth to ask if they had made a decision and then I heard from them the next day, so maybe you should try that.

Healthcare courses seem to be like this in general, a girl at my college has applied for midwifery which is super competetive and she hasn't heard from any of her unis yet, not even a rejection!

Unfortunately it's a waiting game. But if you want it bad enough as you sound you do, and you did enough preparation for interviews that you may had/have, and saw a lot on your work experience, I will be surprised if you don't get one offer. And even so there's still clearing places available for radiography at a number of unis!

If all turns out for the worst and clearing doesn't work, I would reccommend if you are able to, going back to college to do A levels part-time while working. This is what I did this year at the ripe age of 22 lol, and I sit my final A2 exams in June. There seem to be a lot of people doing access courses for these degrees and I'm not sure as many get taken on as those who do the traditional A levels, so there is bound to be more competition in this route, especially because they prefer mature students in general.

Good luck and most importantly, do stay positive!
    Hey, thanks for replying, thank god I'm not the only one finding it hard getting a place in DR! Feels like loads of people have countless offers. Well done for your offers I'm hoping UWE are taking long as I may be a maybe or a potential yes rather than an outright no. I called them yesterday and they are apparently still waiting to hear from the panel but will chase them up, hoping this week I will hear some news.

Your poor friend, Midwifery is even more competitive I think, but it's horrible not knowing what is happening!

I've had a lot of work experience and as I did a previous health degree (only for one year) I know what its like being in that environment which I hope will work in my favour for UWE! I did consider A-Levels instead of an access but most places where I live are reluctant to do this when your over 18, not sure why?! I always thought access wasn't as acceptable to certain Universities (I know City don't like them!)

I can't really decide now until I hear from UWE, it's just the waiting around that's getting me frustrated I think. Once I know then I can leave this job and focus on something new and have a bit more of a positive outlook. I heard there were clearing places, but didn't want to go any further than UWE (I'm from London, and even Bristol is far for me!).

Well done for getting Portsmouth, they rejected me pretty much straight away and offered an alternative course (which they did with most people), so you must have had an excellent personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzielizzie)
    Working in a crap boring job isn't easy. I know as I do one myself currently and the only thing that keeps me at it is. The fact am heading to uni in September and I need as much money as I can make to cover myself this year and get all the things I need to buy. Just keeping trying to be positive, things will work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, thanks for replying. Think with me it's because I've done all this before, worked in a crap job waiting for Uni and I have to do it all over again! It is definetly hard, but we're probably making the right decision Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Well, you need to decide, he should understand you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    Well, you need to decide, he should understand you.
    I think at the moment I'm feeling that more as I'm so uncertain with University and my job, I'll see how it goes after I hear from UWE. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi there - you've had some really helpful advice from other posters but on the highlighted sentence above - have you thought about offering to suppliment your access course with an Open University science module or two? You could even fit that in this year - if UWE are still considering you then it's worth ringing them up and asking if this is something that would help with your application. (both http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ourse/s151.htm and http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ourse/y182.htm might be useful to take and both should finish by October - alternatively http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...urse/st174.htm could possibly be argued as being relevent to DR in a push...)

Alternatively you could contact universities that you'd be interested in applying to next year about whether OU credits would help with your application which would give you more time to arrange finances and get used to OU study (eg you could take http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ourse/y033.htm ). Rather than feeling like you're retreading the same ground with re-sitting an Access course this might help motivate your interest a bit more

Another option (instead of retaking your Access course) that might be worth raising with UWE would be whether they would alternatively consider you for http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/B900/2013 if they're not able to take you directly onto the DR course. It might not be precisely what you'd chose to do but it would feel like a step forward and not a step backward

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for replying, thank god I'm not the only one finding it hard getting a place in DR! Feels like loads of people have countless offers. Well done for your offers I'm hoping UWE are taking long as I may be a maybe or a potential yes rather than an outright no. I called them yesterday and they are apparently still waiting to hear from the panel but will chase them up, hoping this week I will hear some news.

Your poor friend, Midwifery is even more competitive I think, but it's horrible not knowing what is happening!

I've had a lot of work experience and as I did a previous health degree (only for one year) I know what its like being in that environment which I hope will work in my favour for UWE! I did consider A-Levels instead of an access but most places where I live are reluctant to do this when your over 18, not sure why?! I always thought access wasn't as acceptable to certain Universities (I know City don't like them!)

I can't really decide now until I hear from UWE, it's just the waiting around that's getting me frustrated I think. Once I know then I can leave this job and focus on something new and have a bit more of a positive outlook. I heard there were clearing places, but didn't want to go any further than UWE (I'm from London, and even Bristol is far for me!).

Well done for getting Portsmouth, they rejected me pretty much straight away and offered an alternative course (which they did with most people), so you must have had an excellent personal statement
    You sound a lot like me - dying of boredom in an office job! Maybe the colleges around you are pretty packed. With the college i attend in the midlands, if you are over 19 and have a level 3 qualification already (e.g. NVQ or already a few a levels) you have to pay the college tuition fees which can amount to a few grand. If you don't have any, then it's free.

If you already called UWE and they haven't given you a rejection after that, they must be considering you still. UCAS limbo makes everyone anxious! But you can check courses with clearing places on UCAS course search, they have an 'X' next to them.

Thanks. Atleast you were offered an alternative! I got rejected from one straight off as well. Got 4 interviews but went to 3 because of the travel costs. UWE was the one I wanted most in the first place - count yourself lucky if you do get an offer from there. The lecturers and radiographers are really friendly, the course sounds well structured, and they make you feel comfortable. Bristol is a beautiful city too, one of the best in my opinion. Everyone who lives there seems to say how much they love the place and would never want to move. So fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:

Why not look at some other universities that are more higher-ranked or more prestigious ? (Kingston and Southbank are very low while 3 others is relatively low.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same problem, although I am currently at a lower ranking university, but doing a degree I don't want to do.

I applied to do a Japanese degree, which is only offered by high ranking universities, and got rejected from all my choices.

It's extremely irritating because my only option is Access to HE, but because I already have A Levels (albeit too low for the course I want) I would have to pay for the Access course out of my own pocket.

I think it's an absolute piss take really as there is no access course specifically designed for progressing to a language degree, so the closest course would probably be humanities, which is very similar to the History degree I'm currently studying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.