Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I've decided to be a mentor for next years Freshers on the BA Econ degree at Manchester. Basically it means I get trained up a bit, and that I'll be assigned a group of about 10 Freshers. They will get a picture of me and my email address in the summer and will be able to email me with any questions they may have. I'll meet them all during Freshers week, take them for a campus tour, and then take them to a pub for a drink (paid for by the uni). Then, throughout the year, I'll keep in touch with them and check they are getting by ok.

Anyone been involved in a similar scheme?

Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hello all,
    I've decided to be a mentor for next years Freshers on the BA Econ degree at Manchester. Basically it means I get trained up a bit, and that I'll be assigned a group of about 10 Freshers. They will get a picture of me and my email address in the summer and will be able to email me with any questions they may have. I'll meet them all during Freshers week, take them for a campus tour, and then take them to a pub for a drink (paid for by the uni). Then, throughout the year, I'll keep in touch with them and check they are getting by ok.

Anyone been involved in a similar scheme?

Ed
    Yeah, I'm doing the same for Medicine.
    Not sure we get anything paid for though, and I don't think they get our details in summer. I don't really know a lot though I've only been to the first talk on being a Mentor - Should be quite fun though. And all those cute fresher girls to take advantage of

ReputationRep:
    We don't have anything like that here (at least the chemistry department doesn't), its a very good idea though as it helps students get to know each other without feeling overpowered. The chemistry department here does organise a freshers party, but i found that really awkward as i didn't know anyone and i walked into this party where there were a lot of people, and i'm not the most confident person in the world. Having a small group with a 'mentor' would have been so much better. It'd also be nice to be in contact with a student in the year above to help with any problems workwise, because obviously a second year could help with that. I might suggest the mentor next year if i become a student rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yeah, I'm doing the same for Medicine.
    Not sure we get anything paid for though, and I don't think they get our details in summer. I don't really know a lot though I've only been to the first talk on being a Mentor - Should be quite fun though. And all those cute fresher girls to take advantage of
    We can claim expenses hehe! I've only been to the first talk too. And wasn't the food they provided so damn good!!

LOL did you have to do the brainstorming session on what 'mentors shouldn't do?' I think every group with a male in had the 'not take advantage of the innocence of Fresher females.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    We don't have anything like that here (at least the chemistry department doesn't), its a very good idea though as it helps students get to know each other without feeling overpowered. The chemistry department here does organise a freshers party, but i found that really awkward as i didn't know anyone and i walked into this party where there were a lot of people, and i'm not the most confident person in the world. Having a small group with a 'mentor' would have been so much better. It'd also be nice to be in contact with a student in the year above to help with any problems workwise, because obviously a second year could help with that. I might suggest the mentor next year if i become a student rep!
    We didn't have it for my course this year. It's a new thing. UoM wants to roll out peep mentoring across all degrees by 2005. I think it's a great idea, indeed I wished when I was about to start here last year that I had a current student I could email. And now I can be that person for someone else it's all good!

ReputationRep:
    We didn't have it for my course this year. It's a new thing. UoM wants to roll out peep mentoring across all degrees by 2005. I think it's a great idea, indeed I wished when I was about to start here last year that I had a current student I could email. And now I can be that person for someone else it's all good!
    hey tednol, getting out of topic here, but what is the manchester economics department like? i am thinking of applying there next year + do you have any info about differences of economics and economics and finance...any info would be cool

ReputationRep:
    We can claim expenses hehe! I've only been to the first talk too. And wasn't the food they provided so damn good!!

LOL did you have to do the brainstorming session on what 'mentors shouldn't do?' I think every group with a male in had the 'not take advantage of the innocence of Fresher females.'
    Maybe we will be able to claim expenses, mmm.... Might follow in the footsteps of some politicians and claim for everything under the sun.

Yeah we had all that brainstorming stuff....and yes we had that....which brought up the question "But what if they are fully consentual and have had gap years...?" asked by a girl funnily enough.

ReputationRep:
    We had a kind of thing last year with Mummies and Daddies that was a bit like a pilot so this year it is getting bigger i.e. more stuff involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    hey tednol, getting out of topic here, but what is the manchester economics department like? i am thinking of applying there next year + do you have any info about differences of economics and economics and finance...any info would be cool
    I'm doing the BA Econ degree, which is a pretty one off kind of degree as far as I can work out. It has a virtually unrivaled amount of flexibility, and is the degree you will be doing whether you want to do economics, politics, sociology or similar at the UoM. The first year is common for everyone regardless of their intended area of study. Eg I want to focus on economics but in my first year I am doing economics, politics, anthropology, sociology etc. I found it tedious to begin with but I have warmed to it.

Next year I can do virtually anything. It's like a massive pick and mix. I could do languages and psychology. Or politics and social anthopology. Or, as it most likely, economics and business.

By economics and finance can I presume you mean accounting and finance? It is a similar degree to BA Econ, in that someone doing BA Econ who wanted to focus on business and economics would end up doing a lot of similar modules to a accounting and finance person. But unless you are actually doing accounting and finance, you can't do the accounting modules.

Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Maybe we will be able to claim expenses, mmm.... Might follow in the footsteps of some politicians and claim for everything under the sun.

Yeah we had all that brainstorming stuff....and yes we had that....which brought up the question "But what if they are fully consentual and have had gap years...?" asked by a girl funnily enough.
    By expenses I do mean we have to get the spending approved first... but it's still nice. And I think all they are intending is taking 10 people for a drink at the union... after that I think it's more or less up to us and our mentees to pay!

Aparently, it's only a matter of time before the first mentor/mentee wedding... every year lots of people get together through the scheme!

Ed

ReputationRep:
    By expenses I do mean we have to get the spending approved first... but it's still nice. And I think all they are intending is taking 10 people for a drink at the union... after that I think it's more or less up to us and our mentees to pay!

Aparently, it's only a matter of time before the first mentor/mentee wedding... every year lots of people get together through the scheme!

Ed
    Well I already have a good relationship with a girl who will be a medic fresher next year so it'll be wierd if she is in my group of about 13/14.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the BA Econ degree, which is a pretty one off kind of degree as far as I can work out. It has a virtually unrivaled amount of flexibility, and is the degree you will be doing whether you want to do economics, politics, sociology or similar at the UoM. The first year is common for everyone regardless of their intended area of study. Eg I want to focus on economics but in my first year I am doing economics, politics, anthropology, sociology etc. I found it tedious to begin with but I have warmed to it.

Next year I can do virtually anything. It's like a massive pick and mix. I could do languages and psychology. Or politics and social anthopology. Or, as it most likely, economics and business.

By economics and finance can I presume you mean accounting and finance? It is a similar degree to BA Econ, in that someone doing BA Econ who wanted to focus on business and economics would end up doing a lot of similar modules to a accounting and finance person. But unless you are actually doing accounting and finance, you can't do the accounting modules.

Ed
    thanks for your advice yea i think i might do economics and finance, not many great universities offer this course- only york,bristol and manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    And all those cute fresher girls to take advantage of
    Dave! Behave yourself!

We have a college parenting system at Clare, although I think most colleges have a similar thing. I've just "got married" so will hopefully be getting two little Fresher kids next October. I think the amount of involvement we have is up to us - both my college parents wrote to me before I went, and I e-mailed them both a couple of times. They were very helpful in Freshers' week, but I haven't seen them much since.

I think they generally try to give each fresher at least one parent who does the same subject, although this is harder for stuff like compsci, where fewer of them choose to become parents (no offence Alaric - you said it!). I am married to a NatSci, so will probably get one medic and one NatSci. Didn't want to marry a medic - that would be too incestuous.

Don't think we get any money though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Dave! Behave yourself!

We have a college parenting system at Clare, although I think most colleges have a similar thing. I've just "got married" so will hopefully be getting two little Fresher kids next October. I think the amount of involvement we have is up to us - both my college parents wrote to me before I went, and I e-mailed them both a couple of times. They were very helpful in Freshers' week, but I haven't seen them much since.

I think they generally try to give each fresher at least one parent who does the same subject, although this is harder for stuff like compsci, where fewer of them choose to become parents (no offence Alaric - you said it!). I am married to a NatSci, so will probably get one medic and one NatSci. Didn't want to marry a medic - that would be too incestuous.

Don't think we get any money though
    Sorry
    That sounds quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Sorry
    That sounds quite good.
    No apology needed - just you be good with those Freshers! I will be because most of them will be 2 years younger than me. :eek: I am having a hard enough time coming to terms with the fact that the guy I like (who is most definitely not the one I am married to) is a year younger than me!

I think the parenting system is a good one - it also provides you with an instant friend for the first week or so, although my "sister" and I have definitely gone our separate ways - she is rapidly becoming the first year star of Clareifornication (the gossip column in the college newsletter) while I am being angelic.

ReputationRep:
    No apology needed - just you be good with those Freshers! I will be because most of them will be 2 years younger than me. :eek: I am having a hard enough time coming to terms with the fact that the guy I like (who is most definitely not the one I am married to) is a year younger than me!

I think the parenting system is a good one - it also provides you with an instant friend for the first week or so, although my "sister" and I have definitely gone our separate ways - she is rapidly becoming the first year star of Clareifornication (the gossip column in the college newsletter) while I am being angelic.
    Well my mummy was gay when i was a fresher, she was cute though

I'm crazy about a girl who could be my "daughter" next year...shes 2months older than me though.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Well my mummy was gay when i was a fresher, she was cute though

I'm crazy about a girl who could be my "daughter" next year...shes 2months older than me though.. :confused:
    Yeah, my friend's mum's actually a lesbian, but it doesn't seem to be a problem - they get on better still than me and my parents.

Well, good luck with this girl, if you end up having her in your group. I take it she's on a gap year then?

The guy I was crazy about applied to Cambridge for medicine (Caius, stupid fool), but got rejected so I had to go it alone. I've survived, and there are plenty more like him there...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my friend's mum's actually a lesbian, but it doesn't seem to be a problem - they get on better still than me and my parents.

Well, good luck with this girl, if you end up having her in your group. I take it she's on a gap year then?

The guy I was crazy about applied to Cambridge for medicine (Caius, stupid fool), but got rejected so I had to go it alone. I've survived, and there are plenty more like him there...
    Yeah - I got on really well with my gay "mum".

And thanks..yeah she did have a gap year - I'm so gunna get shouted at if she is my "daughter" as everyone will think its me taking advantage :rolleyes:

Good luck with your "kids" - hope birth isn't too traumatic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yeah - I got on really well with my gay "mum".

And thanks..yeah she did have a gap year - I'm so gunna get shouted at if she is my "daughter" as everyone will think its me taking advantage :rolleyes:

Good luck with your "kids" - hope birth isn't too traumatic
    Well you know, give it a few weeks until Fresher-pulling fever is over and then see how things go. That's less dodgy than if you go for it in Freshers' week!

Thinking of random parenting stuff, one of my friends, who is a grad student now doing first year medicine, was a parent when he was a 3rd year. His daughter is now his mother!

Birth should be fine, I just have to make sure my husband doesn't pull them! He has a bit of a reputation as a manslut so I shall have to make him behave *Helenia cracks imaginary whip*

ReputationRep:
    Well you know, give it a few weeks until Fresher-pulling fever is over and then see how things go. That's less dodgy than if you go for it in Freshers' week!

Thinking of random parenting stuff, one of my friends, who is a grad student now doing first year medicine, was a parent when he was a 3rd year. His daughter is now his mother!

Birth should be fine, I just have to make sure my husband doesn't pull them! He has a bit of a reputation as a manslut so I shall have to make him behave *Helenia cracks imaginary whip*
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

That relationship you just explained is very confusing and i'm sure incestuious.

I can imagine it is quite amusing for the "daddies" to pull their "daughters" hehe. Keep him on a tight leash.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.