Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about crashing some subjects? im going into 6th year this summer and plan on crashing higher admin and modern studies. I got a 1 in SG history and have been told this could help modern, is this true? and I am crashing higher business this year and doing higher information systems this year, will these subjects help admin?
    any advice and comments would be grateful! as well as any tips for revision and work!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can remember from talking to other people at school, Modern Studies and Business are two of the most commonly crashed Highers, and among the easiest to crash as well. I don't think it really necessary to have an SG/Intermediate background for either of them.

For Modern Studies, all you really need is a fairly good understanding of how Britain is put together and the ability to write a coherent essay. If you're good at that sort of thing, you're home and dry. For that side of it, there's a lot of crossover with History, yes.

Business I know less about - I know fewer people that took it (I actually took neither ), but I gather it is one of these subjects where the main focus of it is you just swallowing an encyclopaedia.

Admin and "Information Systems" weren't done at my school (I've never even heard of "Information Systems" ).

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammydey)
    Hi,
    was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about crashing some subjects? im going into 6th year this summer and plan on crashing higher admin and modern studies. I got a 1 in SG history and have been told this could help modern, is this true? and I am crashing higher business this year and doing higher information systems this year, will these subjects help admin?
    any advice and comments would be grateful! as well as any tips for revision and work!
    I haven't done admin but higher modern despite what people say is really quite easy. Not quite sure how history would help but it might. The difficult part is remembering things but the essays are straight forward if you set them out properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtainrailMan)
    As far as I can remember from talking to other people at school, Modern Studies and Business are two of the most commonly crashed Highers, and among the easiest to crash as well. I don't think it really necessary to have an SG/Intermediate background for either of them.

For Modern Studies, all you really need is a fairly good understanding of how Britain is put together and the ability to write a coherent essay. If you're good at that sort of thing, you're home and dry. For that side of it, there's a lot of crossover with History, yes.

Business I know less about - I know fewer people that took it (I actually took neither ), but I gather it is one of these subjects where the main focus of it is you just swallowing an encyclopaedia.

Admin and "Information Systems" weren't done at my school (I've never even heard of "Information Systems" ).

Hope this helps!
    Thank you for your help! I think I'm just going to go for it and try my best! Also information systems is like computing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfalimaindia)
    I haven't done admin but higher modern despite what people say is really quite easy. Not quite sure how history would help but it might. The difficult part is remembering things but the essays are straight forward if you set them out properly.
    Thank you! I think in the sense of just memorising things it could be like business and hopefully history! Thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    I did Higher Modern Studies in S5 and it's true that your History will help you a little bit!

This year I crashed Higher Admin and Information Systems. Only myself and another girl crashed Higher Admin and I can say that we were really struggling with the practical part of the course at first. I must admit I still struggle with Admin and I've been trying to drop it for months although it's too late because it too close to the exams, however if you actually revise and want to pass, you may find it a little more easier than I have.

Crashing Info Systems was really difficult at first. I had done SG Computing in S4 although I realised that it was quite a big jump from SG to Higher. I didn't really understand a thing of Info Systems at first although the NABs are just 20 multiple choice questions so they are easy to pass since you could easily guess all the answers and still have a chance of passing. Unlike Admin, I've been working really hard with Info Systems and managed to get a B in the prelim, so I'm hoping to do the same or even get an A in the exam. The theory is basically just memorising everything although there's a 17 mark Normalisation question which will boost your grade if you do well in it! I'd say the practical can be quite difficult although it's open-book so you can easily look at previous work or notes for help!

If you have any questions feel free to message me at any time!

Edit: In my Admin class we have two teachers - one who teaches practical and some theory whilst the other teacher only teaches theory. With the teacher that does practical and theory, her theory is basically the same as some parts of the theory from Unit 1 in Info Systems which is about using information. Because of this over-lap I actually find that my Info Systems knowledge helps my Admin theory and vice versa with Admin helping my Information Systems practical.

Edit 2: I just re-read your post and realised that I might of read it wrong and that you're already doing IS this year like myself. If so, sorry!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.