Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and just ask somthing that has been plaguing my mind for years, literally..

I have alway been interested in creative writing, poetry and short stories in partiqular, and like to think I am a pretty creative person (I have ideas comming out of everywhere imagineable) but what I lack is the skills to carry out creative work,

I.e. Im not very artistic, I cant play an instrument, my handwriting is terrible and my spelling, punctuation and grammar is often bad or misplaced, the list could continue..

That being said I still have tons of ideas for just about anything I think of, ok whether they are good or not isnt completely up to me but the fact is I have them! by the bucketload I have them!

What I am asking for is advice, I feel like my current job while good, is wasting my hidden talents, is there anyway I can make use of these ideas and talents on the side?

Could I potentially be a successful writer (even at an amateur level) regardless of how bad my punctuality, spelling and grammar is?

I just love comming up with stories, phrases, poems, ideas and would really like to do somthing constructive with them, more so than just writing them down.

If you have read all this I would like to thank you for that! but please if anyone has any ideas or advice on what I could do, please voice them because I would really appreciate some input!

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your most prominent question: Yes, anyone can be a writer. If anyone can be a good writer, is another question entirely, and depends on what your produce and how it is received by the reader.

You could look around for creative writing groups to join up with. Perhaps in your general locality, or via the internet. I know of groups that run in the region where I live (south-east England), and from time to time I am aware of workshops or master classes that run across the country. I feel that your first step should of course be, quite simply, exercising your writing skills. If you're not already, you should be reading whenever you can, and perhaps whilst doing so, analysing how the writer creates their text. I've always felt that a general rule of thumb is that anybody aspiring to be a good writer must be an avid reader.

I don't know what age you are, but an example of a site that I've used in the past to explore my writing skills ( http://www.youngwriterssociety.com ) was very useful since it was a very accessible way of reading other people's work, there's a lot of variety in terms of tastes and skills, and everyone is very helpful in making suggestions on how to improve oneself. Perhaps you could use this as a jumping-off point for looking for other such groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bouffe)
    In answer to your most prominent question: Yes, anyone can be a writer. If anyone can be a good writer, is another question entirely, and depends on what your produce and how it is received by the reader.

You could look around for creative writing groups to join up with. Perhaps in your general locality, or via the internet. I know of groups that run in the region where I live (south-east England), and from time to time I am aware of workshops or master classes that run across the country. I feel that your first step should of course be, quite simply, exercising your writing skills. If you're not already, you should be reading whenever you can, and perhaps whilst doing so, analysing how the writer creates their text. I've always felt that a general rule of thumb is that anybody aspiring to be a good writer must be an avid reader.

I don't know what age you are, but an example of a site that I've used in the past to explore my writing skills ( http://www.youngwriterssociety.com ) was very useful since it was a very accessible way of reading other people's work, there's a lot of variety in terms of tastes and skills, and everyone is very helpful in making suggestions on how to improve oneself. Perhaps you could use this as a jumping-off point for looking for other such groups.
    Thanks for the reply, you covered alot of what I wanted to know! much appreciated!.

I was also considering entering a local competition for amateur writies in the poetry category, even if I lost or didnt even come close, it would still be some good experience into how these things work I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Anyone can be a writer regardless of their age and their grammar/punctuality skills! What I'd suggest to help you is to read plenty of books and poems to look at how the author/poet has structured, written and laid out their story/poem. You could try and write small pieces to develop your writing skills, and perhaps once you feel confident enough, you could write even more and try to get feedback off other people to see what you could improve and learn from the criticism.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Yes! Anyone can be a writer regardless of their age and their grammar/punctuality skills! What I'd suggest to help you is to read plenty of books and poems to look at how the author/poet has structured, written and laid out their story/poem. You could try and write small pieces to develop your writing skills, and perhaps once you feel confident enough, you could write even more and try to get feedback off other people to see what you could improve and learn from the criticism.

Good luck.
    Thanks! I will try that!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    x
    So once a year I do NaNoWriMo or national novel writing month, it gives me a chance to be creative write something, and in reality it is just for me, one day I might write something good enough to publish, but probably not for a few years, but I don't mind, it is an opportunity for me to prove to myself that I can do something creative.

The other great thing about it is it is a community where you can share ideas; both about your novel, and other creative projects, so people have created other spin of month, for example there is a poetry month. I think it might be something that would suit your desires, while being a nicely supportive atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    Makes sure you know how to spell and stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can be a writer, but very few can be a good writer.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is possible to become a writer, but I would hasten to add that along with great ideas and imagination, a good set of writing skills from structure to flow to basic grammar would be required.

I would imagine that it isn't the sort of profession that you just fall into, nor is there a set path to become a certified, professional writer.

A class in writing to sharpen your style or clean up any structural issues could be worthwhile, networking within writing circles would be good. However, as a trainee journalist - the one thing I will say is how vital it is to write every day so you never get rusty.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and just ask somthing that has been plaguing my mind for years, literally..

I have alway been interested in creative writing, poetry and short stories in partiqular, and like to think I am a pretty creative person (I have ideas comming out of everywhere imagineable) but what I lack is the skills to carry out creative work,

I.e. Im not very artistic, I cant play an instrument, my handwriting is terrible and my spelling, punctuation and grammar is often bad or misplaced, the list could continue..

That being said I still have tons of ideas for just about anything I think of, ok whether they are good or not isnt completely up to me but the fact is I have them! by the bucketload I have them!

What I am asking for is advice, I feel like my current job while good, is wasting my hidden talents, is there anyway I can make use of these ideas and talents on the side?

Could I potentially be a successful writer (even at an amateur level) regardless of how bad my punctuality, spelling and grammar is?

I just love comming up with stories, phrases, poems, ideas and would really like to do somthing constructive with them, more so than just writing them down.

If you have read all this I would like to thank you for that! but please if anyone has any ideas or advice on what I could do, please voice them because I would really appreciate some input!
    Write fanfiction and if you get good reviews then self-publish and take it from there! That's what my cousin did and she is self-publishing now, waiting to her back from Vintage publishers.

ReputationRep:
    EL James did it, and 50 Shades is like a grammar holocaust.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    EL James did it, and 50 Shades is like a grammar holocaust.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL! tbh I looked in a copy of it in tesco once to see what everyones fuss was all about, its very racey..blue to say the least lol, but yeh what you've said makes me feel bit better lol

Not that id be wanting to write about that, but fair play to her! everyone has a naughty side, why not capitolize on it? lol

My style I guess is more poems and short stories,

ReputationRep:
    LOL! tbh I looked in a copy of it in tesco once to see what everyones fuss was all about, its very racey..blue to say the least lol, but yeh what you've said makes me feel bit better lol

Not that id be wanting to write about that, but fair play to her! everyone has a naughty side, why not capitolize on it? lol

My style I guess is more poems and short stories,

You know, if you want to practice writing and get feedback you should consider joining wattpad.com It's an awesome website where loads of people post or read stories, and a lot of people from there have even become published Most recently was a girl called Beth Reeks (Reekles on Wattpad) and she got her story published at 17.

ReputationRep:

I always wanted to write so I just started one day... Set up a Wordpress and just started typing.

My spelling is atrocious and I've never had any formal training or anything like that (last English education was GCSE) but I seem to be getting good feedback.

It's not like I'm trying to publish and make a bunch of money - I just quite like writing and putting it up and having people read it forces me to keep going and try keep the standards high!

(link in the sig if you are interested...)

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I got the old computer in my room and it didn't have Internet so decided I'd write a novel but I could never get passed 20 pages or so. Hahaha.
    The problems of being 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No not really, you need qualification also you need to have excellent grammar and punctuation to become a writer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    writing takes practice, so you'd get good with practice and hearing feedback. I do think that not anybody can be a writer, if you can communicate what the masses can't then you have a place as a writer in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Anyone can be a writer, but very few can be a good writer.
    This, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    What is certain is that you can vastly improve as a writer. There are two main ways to do this:

1) Write more.
    2) Read more.

What is fundamentally important is that you learn to read and write critically. In short this means that you should learn about the technical aspects of writing and be concious of them as you are reading and writing. Of course, when I say the technical aspects of writing, I am not talking about spelling, punctuation and grammar. You can improve those easily by practice and consulting references whenever you are unsure. The technical aspects of writing I am referring to are things like stylistic devices, tone, characterisation, plotting etc. etc.

You can go pretty far without any formal study but by just having the attitude to stop and think about what you are reading and to consider what the author is trying to convey and how they are doing that.

At the same time, you need to sit down for an hour a day (or whatever time you have) and just develop your ideas and just write. Don't worry too much about how good it is at first. Just actually write something and then go back and try to evaluate it later and correct any mistakes and gradually improve what you have written. For most people, the largest proportion of writing time is spent re-writing and editing. For this, you have to have raw material to start off with.

I am by no means a great writer but I have published several technical articles and also have had to write a lot for work and I have had to pick up a lot on the way in terms of developing style and fluency. Looking back, I can definitely say that I am a much better writer today than I was, say, five years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    You know, if you want to practice writing and get feedback you should consider joining wattpad.com It's an awesome website where loads of people post or read stories, and a lot of people from there have even become published Most recently was a girl called Beth Reeks (Reekles on Wattpad) and she got her story published at 17.
    Thats very impressive! I'll check it out, cheers for the advice! much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.