Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

``

ReputationRep:
    I remember having braces - PAIN TO KEEP CLEAN and so many foods you can't eat...

I remember not being able to eat nuts for months...
    3 different brushes...

There is a small amount of pressure but it is something you will get used to, I suppose the best way to describe it is like, you know when you wear a watch for ages, you know it is there at the beginning but, after a while you get used to it and don't notice it until you hit it against a table or something.

Also, if you don't brush your teeth with braces, be prepared for horribly bad breath due to stuck food if you don't brush your teeth...

ReputationRep:
    I was offered braces when I was 17, in the end I refused to have them partly due to a phobia I have of things on my teeth and partly because quite frankly I was being a brat and doing something painful didn't really factor into my to-do list (even though the benefits would have outweighed that). It's the single worst decision I've ever made.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't really.
    Is a little unconformable, however, the worst part is when you go back to have them tightened every few months...
    Oh yeah, also ulcers galore...

Oh yeah, and the rubber bands...
    When speaking, often limit the amount your mouth can move...

ReputationRep:
    I won't lie - they hurt. A lot. You'll also dribble quite a lot too.

When you get them fitted they'll cause your gums to ache like a bugger and for the first week it'll be bad but it does ease off. Some strong co-codamol will help take the pain away to a point but they are strong so don't over do it in that "why aren't they working, I'll take loads!" way.

Eat strawberries too. Dunno why but they help to take the pain away.

When they get tightened as well it'll ache but not as bad as when they're fitted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will massively affect your revision I guess it depends how easily distracted you are. You sound very focused on your GCSEs, so I think it's more likely that your revision will distract you from noticing the braces! I had mine put on 4 years ago, so my memory of what it's like probably isn't that great - but I don't remember them hurting a MASSIVE amount, I think I did take paracetamol for the first couple of days though. I remember what really did bug me was the bits on my teeth rubbing against the inside of my mouth, your orthodontist should give you wax that you can put on them to help with this though. But that's more an annoyance than actual pain. Although they will hurt for a bit it's more like background pain than anything that will seriously affect your ability to do anything. Maybe slightly less productive revision for a couple of days but you can certainly still revise. And if you're getting them on on the 18th April, by the time you get to the actual exams in May you will be completely used to your braces don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!
    I've just had my 9-month train tracks removed; when they're put on, they hurt. Sorry, but they do.
    It really depends upon whether you're given spacers...

If you get spacers, then you'll have them a week before the brace. These spacers will make room for the bands to hold the brace in your mouth around your second-to-back teeth. When put in, the spacers just feel uncomfortable. After a few hours, they'll make the teeth feel tender, rendering eating a huge difficulty. By the next day, they're hellish. That first day is the WORST. No, I doubt you could do much work that day - though if you take some paracetamol you could get some time in if you're dedicated. After that things get better.

I suppose it's about the same with a brace without spacers; I don't really know. If you do get spacers, the brace doesn't hurt at all. It's just uncomfortable having lumps of metal in your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    I just got my braces off, but I really didn't think it hurt much except for a few days (at most, a week) after I got them on/after getting them tightened..the pain goes away and you stop realizing it's there! They just feel super sensitive, that's all!

ReputationRep:
    It hurts a bit at first, I stuck to soft foods for a few days and then I felt ok. Take paracetamol for the pain.

I wouldn't think it would interrupt you studying, I went back to school straight after having mine put on and was ok

I personally wouldn't recommend co-codamol like the above person said unless you're really struggling. They can make you quite drowsy and dizzy which wouldn't help with revision.

ReputationRep:
    The pain was unbearable for me a few times, but it usually goes away after a few days. If you don't get them tightened between April and your exams you should be fine, the pain will go away by them.

ReputationRep:
    When I first had my braces it felt like my teeth were shattering every time I spoke but weirdly it felt comfortable after 3 days!

ReputationRep:
    I had my braces put on October 2011 and f***ing hell they hurt! Literally I was debating ringing up my orthodontist and tell them to take them out again!
    It DOES get better though! Mine were unbearable for a couple of days and then they got better and were fine after a week
    It shouldn't impose too much on your revision timetable unless you let it - try not to get distracted by it Obviously its not the ideal time to be having them put on though!

ReputationRep:
    They won't affect your revision I got mine on during GCSE's and was fine. It does hurt a little bit but not too much, its more of a weird/annoying/what is in my mouth pain haha
    The pain/annoyance will go after a few days, once you get used to them Just be careful with what foods you eat after as some may hurt to eat.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the type of braces and what they're exactly they're doing to your teeth. I had braces last year (Damon system) and they weren't so bad, apart from while eating in the few days after they'd been adjusted.

Make sure you get wax in case they rub, as that is really annoying and distracting. A painkiller should help if your teeth ache - just Ibruprofen, paracetamol, or whatever you usually use for headaches etc. Also, it helps to stock up on soft food like soups and mash potato so you can rest your teeth when they're sensitive.

I don't think they'll really affect your studies

Good luck with your revising

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't affect on your ability to revise. Personally when I had my train tracks, it wasn't painful at all in general but perhaps a bit numb. Didn't really notice them in day to day life. Real pain strikes when you try to bite stuff, I had troubles eating fries etc on the first 2 days haha. But bread and soup was fine and you get accustomed to the pressure until its tightened.

If you're male, I'd just say man the **** up. Its not a big deal.

If you're female, then nothing I could say really apart from good luck and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Do see why i got negged, braces aren't painful or mandatory anyways. So man the **** up all of you causing such a fuss over nothing with your first world problems:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2WzQzxuoA

Peace

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it is going to bug you THIS MUCH (I think the fear of it is worse than the actual thing), then yes, put it off until after your exams (and the after party) =P.

Then put them on, then you are going to start worrying about it affecting your A levels...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry but yes, it does hurt. I stayed home from school for a week because I couldn't really talk or eat or think for that matter. I think that everyone reacts differently but you should definately expect some level of discomfort. Too bad you have to revise, I wouldn't have been able to.

Eat lots of ice cream, it helps and it's delicious. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    lol not painful

ReputationRep:
    They only hurt for like a week after having them put in and if they're tightened. You just have to make sure you brush your teeth 2-3 times a day (which you should do anyway!) and watch what you eat (I was living on tesco pasta for a month)

Also, you get a lisp for like the first 2 - 3 weeks so would be a pain if you had a oral exam lol!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.