Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers from Manchester University and York; they both want AAA which I'm alright with.
    I'm just not sure which has the better English course - I applied for English Literature at York, and English Literature & Linguistics at Manchester.

I currently study English Lit and Lang and I love both. I'm just unsure on which university is better suited for me.

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I've been to York – it had some interesting standout features like an additional focus on other languages, and managed to get the balance fairly right between interesting modules and practically useful ones. I never considered Manchester – I believe York is generally higher on the league tables for English (I always thought Manchester was a science uni).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverstein23)
    I've got offers from Manchester University and York; they both want AAA which I'm alright with.
    I'm just not sure which has the better English course - I applied for English Literature at York, and English Literature & Linguistics at Manchester.

I currently study English Lit and Lang and I love both. I'm just unsure on which university is better suited for me.

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated
    I'm planning to firm York so I'm a bit biased, but perhaps if I tell you why I chose it may help. I personally thought the city/ university had a really relaxed and friendly vibe so would be a grea place to study. Location-wise, it was also a perfect distance away from home. In terms of the course, I like the fact it is mostly coursework based as this plays on my individual strengths, and I also find its emphasis on a global approach to study really unique. I would have perhaps mentioned the fact it is separated into colleges, but from what I've heard from current students, it's more of a way of separating accomodation.

Obviously, I don't know so much about Manchester (or what would suit you better personally), but I'd recommend visiting both if you can and seeing if you could imagine yourself living there for three years. Study the course details as well - do the modules interest you, how is assessed etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, how much do you want to focus on linguistics? Surely that's the biggest factor here. At York, you could probably do an elective in linguistics in your second year, but other than that you'll just be doing literature.

In terms of which uni is 'better', they're probably pretty equal. I'm at York and I love it, but I have friends doing English at Manchester who love it too, so just go for whichever course you think will allow you to explore your interests more fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plainview)
    I always thought Manchester was a science uni.
    UMIST was the science uni, but it merged with Victoria, which was everything other than science, so basically it's a bit of everything now.

I've just finished my second year of Lit at Manchester and I think it's great. It's very varied and there's a lot of support available if you need it. Like in York, you can do free choice modules (not sure if this applies if you do a joint degree though) and there's the option to go abroad in your second year. From your second year onwards, all the modules are optional (apart from third year dissertation ofc), so you're not forced to do any that you don't want to, which I think is amazing, especially when I talk to some of my friends in other unis who only got the chance to choose in third year.

Also, the social part of being in the biggest student populated city is really good too, it's a really alive place to be, but if you're not into that then you can always go for one of the halls in Victoria Park as opposed to Fallowfield, which are situated a bit further away from all the drunk people.

I went to York's open day and was really tempted by their foreign literature module (not many of those at Manchester unless you choose one from your elective) but the sheer amount of wildlife on campus put me off. You can also go abroad for a bit longer than you can in Manchester I think, and their course is also rated very highly, so I guess it just depends on what suits your needs best =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.